diy solar

diy solar

RSD required for ground mount?

oldryder1973

I am in the design stage for a ground mounted grid tie solar system. I've seen that RSD's are required for roof mount solar but have been unable to determine if they are required for a ground mount system. Doesn't seem like they would be needed if the inverters were mounted on the PV structure.

The inverters I am using have a DC disconnect. Presently my plan is to locate the inverters inside to shelter them from the MN weather extremes but I can see where that might make the Fireman Switch/RSD's a requirement.

thx to anyone taking the time to offer advice.

mark in MN

You might have to locate a DC disconnect on the outside of the shed. Your local authority would have the final say on that. I think your assumptions are correct as far as planning is concerned as far as RSD for firemen protection.

always make things easy and friendly for the fire department! Disconnects and fuses are your friend.
that said, the "regulations" on solar go from "don't kill yourself" to "a pallet of paperwork" depending on where you live sadly...
My advice would be to try and find someobdy in your area that has actually done something similar...
You cannot apply common sense to things any more, local regulations can be staggering and costly if you are not careful.

diy solar

diy solar
Back