diy solar

diy solar

Sanity check and choices, choices, choices...

jcbarr23

I'll have a new Ford Transit next week and looking forward to building something we could live in full-time (although reality is likely 6-9 month trips around various continents).

The various calculators show me at about 13kwh of draw daily, with 12V Air Conditioning being a big chunk of that, and 110V incinerating toilet the next largest. Induction cooking, charging electronics for 2 digital nomads, ebike, etc will all push me to need large inverter.

Sources:
I will have the OEM 2nd alternator, capable of about 200A 12V charging capacity.
I expect to have 1kw of solar on the roof.
I also expect we'll include a shore power input for when possible.

Couple of questions:
1) Would it make sense to have a separate inverter for the toilet (runs only once a day for an hour. 2kw likely sufficient) vs a large (5kw) single inverter for everything?
2) I've been assuming 24V to support a 5kw inverter, but if I do 2 inverters, would 12V be better for easier access to full alternator charging (Sterling has a 200A 12V-12V unit for example)
3) I like having choices -- anyone have a suggestion for large single inverter/charger beside Victron? Seems most that large are designed for Europeans (240V input required). Or should I just look at separate charger for shore power and thus open up cheaper only-inverters?

Back