diy solar

diy solar

Should I buy a wind turbine or another 100w solar panel to fill the remaining roof space on my van?

You should investigate the siting requirements for wind turbines before jumping into this. Typically to get good wind production the turbine needs to be 30' higher than the nearest obstacles within 100' (for a small one). That includes trees, buildings, people, etc. You also need to figure out how you will keep this turbine up in winds, guy wires? permanent mounting pole? There is quite a bit of lateral force generated from holding the turbine in strong winds. Take a look at the typical anchoring that turbine manufactures recommend for their towers.

Take a look at the wind turbines' outputs at various average wind speeds. I think you will find it is much less than the 1/3 of high winds output as you suggested. Many turbines do not produce much energy at all until 5-7mph average winds.

It is a loosing bet to drive to give your wind turbine the breeze it needs to make power, as other poster has said, much more efficient to just run a generator.

There may be a reason you can find many PV based camping power generator systems, but few to none using wind turbines.

Back