diy solar

diy solar

Solar Controller Identification and operation

Metallicite

20231125_112646.jpg
Hi,

I've bought a caravan with an existing set up installed. I'm now trying to understand how it all works. I haven't been able to identify any details on the installed solar controller. From looking at the picture attached can anyone identify this? Or otherwise if it looks likely something similar you do know, a manual of this similar one to read to get an idea of how they work.

Cheers,
Hayden

I've struggled to find a manual
It's not really worth spending time on the controller, it will work or it's broken.
Since the caravan is new to you, it's possible the battery is past its best. You should have documentation on the vans 12v system or it will be online. Often its a simple charger/ power supply operating from AC with a small 12v battery for lighting, water pump.
The solar and panel have most likely been fitted by a previous owner.
I suggest some simple tests on the battery and panel. You need a multimeter.
A battery is resionable condition will have a voltage greater than 12.6 after charge but at rest, no load or charge.

The solar panel, disconnect from the controler should, with sunlight, show a voltage in the region of 20 volts. When connected to the controller, the volts will fall to just higher than battery volts. If the controler and panel are operational, the battery volts will increase to over 14 volts as the battery is charged.

The load outputs on this type of controler are intended to drive low power 12v lights. I guess the programming buttons determine how these outputs operate. Usual options are, on continously, off, or on when it's dark.
In most RV applications, 12v stuff is normally powered of the battery, not the load outputs.

In many situations where you become the owner of previously installed electrical equipment that's not working and poor quality, it's better to start over with new.

Perhaps if you outline your requirements, then advice on proceed can be discussed.

Mike

I've seen those blue multi-brand controllers on Amazon before, they do look very similar to this one. As for usage? I wouldn't trust a 50w panel on it. I've heard a few horror stories of them melting or catching fire from a 100w panel.

Back