diy solar

diy solar

Solaredge optimizers, can they be used with any hybrid inverter?

beefitter

I have a grid tied system, 50 Panasonic panels 16.5 kwh, with two Solaredge inverters a 10kw and 5 kw, with optimizers on the solar panels. 32 panels on my pole barn and 18 panels on my garage. The system works great. The thing I don't like is no power if the grid goes down.
My question is this, Could I take the inverter input DC wiring of the 5 kw inverter off my garage, to a double throw switch. Then have a Sol Ark 8 k inverter in my garage with a 48v battery bank for emergency power. If the grid goes down I could throw the switch and run my garage panels through the Sol Ark, charge my batteries and run the power to a separate critical loads panel that would not be tied into my grid supplied AC wiring. Would the solar edge optimzers work with the Sol Ark inverter? I am trying to do this DIY without the solar company that installed the system. Because the only battery backup system the solar company would install is two Tesla Powerwalls for 23k. I am trying to find a cheaper solution.

I have a grid tied system, 50 Panasonic panels 16.5 kwh, with two Solaredge inverters a 10kw and 5 kw, with optimizers on the solar panels. 32 panels on my pole barn and 18 panels on my garage. The system works great. The thing I don't like is no power if the grid goes down.
My question is this, Could I take the inverter input DC wiring of the 5 kw inverter off my garage, to a double throw switch. Then have a Sol Ark 8 k inverter in my garage with a 48v battery bank for emergency power. If the grid goes down I could throw the switch and run my garage panels through the Sol Ark, charge my batteries and run the power to a separate critical loads panel that would not be tied into my grid supplied AC wiring. Would the solar edge optimzers work with the Sol Ark inverter? I am trying to do this DIY without the solar company that installed the system. Because the only battery backup system the solar company would install is two Tesla Powerwalls for 23k. I am trying to find a cheaper solution.

I wish that someone had responded. Maybe you’ve found out since posting.
I have a similar issue. Solar Edge optimizers and want to put in a Sol-Ark 12k inverter. I understand sol-ark to say I’ll need to change to Tygo optimizers at each panel. Not impossible but about $30each plus labor.
of course Solar Edge has their own hybrid inverter as well but the Sol-ark seems to be superior.

I wish that someone had responded.
I did not see the earlier post but I can comment conceptually on an AC coupled solution that would not involve removing any part of your Solaredge system. Any hybrid inverter that can AC couple would work. The GT inverter would get rewired to the output of the hybrid inverter which would create the micro grid to keep the GT inverter running. The three I am familiar with are Outback Skybox, SolArk and Schneider. There are examples of users of each on this forum. I am most familiar with Skybox per my signature.

Could I take the inverter input DC wiring of the 5 kw inverter off my garage, to a double throw switch. Then have a Sol Ark 8 k inverter in my garage with a 48v battery bank for emergency power. If the grid goes down I could throw the switch and run my garage panels through the Sol Ark, charge my batteries and run the power to a separate critical loads panel that would not be tied into my grid supplied AC wiring. Would the solar edge optimzers work with the Sol Ark inverter? I am trying to do this DIY without the solar company that installed the system.
As I mentioned above, the easiest solution would be to leave the Solar edge system intact and move its breaker to the loads panel powered by the hybrid inverter. Unless you need the capacity of the SolArk the Outback Skybox offers a less expensive solution for about $3500 plus batteries.

I have a similar issue. Solar Edge optimizers and want to put in a Sol-Ark 12k inverter.
What size is your Solaredge inverter? That and its age has a bearing on what hybrid inverter will work best in an AC coupled situation. By age, specifically is it UL1741SA or older UL1741, without the SA suffix?

diy solar

diy solar
Back