diy solar

diy solar

Solax inverter stuck in VDE safety mode and thus 'waiting' mode

Cambridge Bod

Hi,

Solax X1-AC 3.8 kw inverter with Solax tripleX string,.. (setup BMS correctly)

I've tried resetting - soft - hard and factory to no avail :-(

(not sure the 'factory reset' did / does anything :-((

Both LCD and App do not change the safety setting from VDE xx to UK setting.

Until I do that it doesn't see any income AC mains (battery - sees status/voltage ok) so it ids stuck in 'waiting mode'

All mains settings show 0. I could set them ??

any help appreciated

R

What is the history of the inverter, has it ever worked or has it just been bought.

Get your installer back in then unless it's DIY.

If DIY then check all the connections, Solax DC connectors are some odd version of MC4 and the wire is not gripped correctly and if misaligned the internal metal plug can drop as inserted and never make connection. Then you get it sitting there just waiting. When it caught me out I unplugged the connectors to check the DC voltage from the panel string and found the dropped plug. Pushed the wire back in and then the plug into the inverter making sure the wire did not drop. Once it has DC it will allow the settings to be altered, installer password is 6868.

Last edited:
300V is enough to get it going on the DC side, if you see waiting for more than 2 or 3 mins then its not seeing the 300V.

Kommando
Thanks for the suggestions.... but ...

according to the terminals on the PCB it's 353V DC

The AC is 245v on the pcb; the inverter sees the utility consumption figures from the CT, which roughly match my sunny boy results.:sneaky:

i had assumed o_O as it's in default standalone mode and that it was waiting for the solar feed in to be greater than the building consumption. Today we had enough time with > 200w spare to trigger something. In the last month since install we've not seen that surplus at all. :-(

Not sure that it would wake up without the settings of volts/freq upper-lower being realistic given it's solidly set to German VDE safety setting.??

A 'proper' full factory reset should make these settings revert to anything (normal):rolleyes:

Any ideas / suggestions ??

I have a Sunny Boy stuck on VDE settings, it works with the only downside it looks at 10 min AC averages and if this is over a lower threshold than the spot AC peak threshold it will disconnect from the grid. One of these days I will use my SMA Grid Guard code to correct it but it just means a few disconnects in the summer. So your Solax should wake up and work VDE or G98.

interestingly a chatbot came up with one comment

"Safety features triggered: The inverter might have activated a safety feature like VDE mode due to a fault or overcurrent condition.

Is VDE mode a safety feature ? Or just a defauls ?

VDE4015 is the German Safety Spec; in the UK we should use G83/2 or /3 (G89 is for > 5kw installs)

It sets up the needful like OV over voltage (273V), UV (200v) and Frequency variations before shutting off the inverter.

I can't seem to change the safety setting even in installer mode.

G98 is the replacement for G83/2 and /3, no G83 /2 /3 inverter has been allowed in a fresh install since 2019 or so. All are 3.68KW, G99/G100 are for over 3.68kw.

The VDE assumes the Euro 230V ac and has spot AC peaks it will disconnect from the grid very similar to G98. It has a further 10min average AC threshold which is lower than the peak and if this 10 min average threshold is breeched then it will disconnect.

Even if your inverter is set to Germany for the first 10 mins it will connect as long as the AC is below the peak threshold. It will not trigger on the lower 10 mins average until the first 10 mins has lapsed and it has that 10 mins data. That is how my Sunny Boy works. It then waits for a set period and monitors the AC and reconnects when it has dropped below the threshold for that full set period.

I don't have the same Solax as you but mine allows the settings to be changed once it has AC and DC. If there is no DC and its waiting then the settings are truncated and only the basic info is viewable.

Suggest this is the time to contact the seller or Solax support (who have improved recently)

sorry mistyped (G89) forG98 (fat fingers ;))

Found looser dc connection so fitted replacement Devalan (MC4 but with subtle insert barrier) connectors and it booted up into G83/2 mode (G59/3 is only other option)

Charging worked from grid in self mode, switched to force time mode and it's awaiting that time, meanwhile powering local supply ;)

Thanks K for your advice. ??

Update
Overnight cheap rate recharging worked
Solar power used to recharge today when it exceeded house load.

Last edited:
Back