diy solar

diy solar

the effects of ambient heat on ice maker and dorm fridge?

staffaction

The setting: an off grid shed that acts as a Kitchenette // compost toilet outhouse // propane shower.

The climate: zone 5 in AZ. it gets to be about 95 on the hottest days, perhaps hotter inside the shed? The shed is vented at the rafters. And in the winter it can get chili, it can get as low as sub 30 and when snow comes through it can drop up to 2 feet. Those are the extremities. Most of the year has temps in between, which is why we like the spot.

I'm thinking about a couple of the products Will has highlighted, namely the ice maker and a dorm fridge. How would those do in a non temp controlled setting? They would not be used full time. They would stay there all the time, but not be powered on. We make weekend trips so they would be powered on when we visit. Are these products going to work ok when in these temp environments?

thank you!

They will work fine. Except it will take longer for them to cool down or make ice when it’s already hot in the building. And they will also add to that heat as all indoor refrigeration devices do.

They will work fine. Except it will take longer for them to cool down or make ice when it’s already hot in the building. And they will also add to that heat as all indoor refrigeration devices do.
good to know. Thank you! Now onto more complicated projects..

My system's baseload when everyone's asleep drops about 30% over the course of the night. I believe this to be the ambient temp drop lowering the load on all the refrigeration devices, which we've got four of.

My system's baseload when everyone's asleep drops about 30% over the course of the night. I believe this to be the ambient temp drop lowering the load on all the refrigeration devices, which we've got four of.
4 Refrig devices?? what is your setup?

2 houses on 1 system. But it's mostly me in one of them with a kitchen fridge, chest freezer, and a costco fridge (what I call the fridge for holding all the stuff from costco). Other house just has a kitchen fridge.
nice! I look forward to getting our spot to the point where we can have a permanent chest freezer.

diy solar

diy solar
Back