diy solar

diy solar

Thermoelectric

deco

New to the forum. I have a 24V off grid system in my cabin. In the winter months the solar isn't going to help at all. I was researching thermoelectric power for my wood stove an I came across this one which seems like the best. https://www.tegmart.com/thermoelectric-generators/wood-stove-air-cooled-45w-teg

My problem though is it's for 12V systems. Is there a quick easy way to get this connected to my 24V set up or does anyone recommend a different thermoelectric generator? Thanks in advance!

The You can buy 12V to 24V converters (this is called a boost or step-up converter), search for: 12V 24V boost. That thermoelectric generator says 45W, so you should get a converted capable of at least 5A. 45W isn't a lot of power, and there will be some losses in the conversion to 24V. You're not going to end up with much power to charge the battery, but if it runs long enough, it should work. Maybe that's ok for the system you have,

The You can buy 12V to 24V converters (this is called a boost or step-up converter), search for: 12V 24V boost. That thermoelectric generator says 45W, so you should get a converted capable of at least 5A. 45W isn't a lot of power, and there will be some losses in the conversion to 24V. You're not going to end up with much power to charge the battery, but if it runs long enough, it should work. Maybe that's ok for the system you have,
Thanks, you might be right it might not even be worth it.

Buy 2 and connect in series?
That's a hefty $/W ratio. Solar panels tend around $1/W or less. These are more like $11/W.
Have you investigated wind?
I haven't thought of wind just because I'm not at my cabin all winter and I need something when I'm there. But you might be right and just install a turbine and keep the turbine brake on.

Not knowing the frequency you are at the cabin would the following make sense. Leave the turbine free. Dump the turbine to a pump once the batteries are full, then dump it to a water heater to keep you water from freezing. Or use the batteries to run pump and heater (simpler), and use an automatic break for when batteries are full. Then when you arrive at cabin you have water ready.

Honestly, fan blades on a permanent magnet generator in the flue pipe would be as productive, and WHOLE lot cheaper...

Not many would survive the 500*+ temps.

If you are ejecting 500°F flue gasses out the chimney top, you didn't extract nearly enough heat energy from your fuel.

Some inventive folks over by Pittsburg are using the Venturi effect in old steel mill smoke stacks to turn fan generators, just the wind drafting over the chimney, wide open at the bottom.
A couple of them don't even have a building attached anymore, just the smoke stacks left in a field.

My point was, it seems like there would be a much cheaper way to produce the small amount of power that unit produces for the price...

Back