diy solar

diy solar

Thoughts on using AC vs DC from PowerStation to RV power

khokhonutt

We have a small RV with limited space for a power setup. With that in mind, I currently have 2 100AH LiFePO4 batteries. I have a Renogy 2000w 12v Inverter Charger that I have not installed yet, but plan to install using AC priority. I also have a Pecron E1500LFP with one expansion battery. I have not addressed solar at this point, that will be phase two of our setup for now.

We primarily camp where we have shore power, but I'd like the option to run off of the batteries and inverter. My plan is to use the power station to provide extra power, when needed. My question mainly revolves around whether I'd be better off just running off the AC output of the power station or if it would be worth adding a DC to DC charger and running the 30a 12v output on the power station to the charger and using it to charge the batteries. More specifically, I'm wondering which setup would be better for running the air conditioner for short periods of time.

We have a small ac unit with soft start that will run off the power station and should run off the inverter. I get that I have nowhere near the battery capacity to run the ac for long periods of time, but I'd like to be able to hook up and run the ac for our dogs, when we stop for a sit down dinner or a short sight seeing stop on trips. So the ultimate question I'm trying to decide on is, do I put together a setup that runs off the power station until it's power is depleted, then switch over to the house batteries and inverter? Or do I run the 30a 12v to a dc to dc charger and run everything off batteries?

I appreciate any input or ideas.

Thanks,
Jeff
Concord, NC

diy solar

diy solar
Back