diy solar

diy solar

Time to fish or cut bait with my inverter/charger - should I service it or replace it?

1holaguy

I have an OEM Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter/charger in my 2005 Safari Cheetah. I have used this unit only as a charger and to my knowledge the PO also used it mainly as a charger to maintain house batteries. Generally the RV is connected to shore power or run on the 8Kw Onan diesel generator and mostly when not connected to one of these the only electrical items used were dc powered (lights, radio, fridge on LP etc.). Last month I tried to boondock for the first time and when I turned on the inverter nothing happened. Initially I thought it might be a battery issue which got me researching LiFePO4 options. My initial field testing showed the inverter/charger is charging but not inverting. After further field testing at Xantrex CS direction they advised that the problem is likely internal on the inverter side and my options are to have it serviced or replace it.
So here us the question(s): Any idea what "service" cost? At least say analyses to determine if repair or replacement is warranted. I am not knowledgeable when it comes to servicing the internal electronic workings of an inverter short of replacing internal fuses on other models. Also, considering its age of 15 years (if this is a factor) and the fact that it is a Xantrex Freedom 458 (modified sine) should I have the unit serviced or replace it?

Now if I replace it then a whole host of other questions arise. A new one is about $1300 - $1600. There are many other Pure Sine inverters of the same capacity for less but I do not know how they compare in quality. If I go this route I need a separate charge controller. If I choose this option (separate components) could I use something like a Victron Charge controller that would also be available should I add some solar in the future or do I need one that is AC to DC specific? Also, should I go 24V with a 24 to 12 v converter or a 12V system? What say you?

Hello! I have a 1995 Safari Serengeti, so cool, another Safari lover!

1605596213142.png

Honestly if it were me, I would ditch the modified sine wave and get a full sine wave inverter. There are various options, I am on the facebook group: 'Safari Motorhome Owners Group' ...and I've seen several different viable options for the inverter/chargers people there use. Mine came with a Magnum 2800w MS2812 charger/inverter (with ME-RC50 remote panel), and I like it just fine no complaints (remote panel is nice). Magnum inverters are well known for RV market and are reliable. I personally would stay with 12v unless you want to get involved with other big changes, since all your accessories are built around 12v (unless you need a lot more watts than around 3kw)...

I have a separate PWM charge controller on mine currently (bought it that way) and it works fine for the 4 panels on the roof, I am going to replace it for a Victron 150|70 MPPT charge controller soon though, as it is much more advanced and has app management. I'll put that on as soon as I get my 12v lithium LiFePO4 battery bank done built (as soon as the 8x 280ah cells arrive from China hehe)...

Last edited:
Xantrex is a solid brand. I have a Xantrex 1000 watt MSW inverter in my trailer. The inverter is at least 15 years old and works great.

It's possible that there is a configuration issue with your setup. If you know someone that is experienced with RV electronics that could take a second look at your setup that might save you a lot of time, effort and money.

If you do end up replacing the unit, pure sine wave is the way to go. Get a unit that understands how to charge the different battery chemistries. That way if you decide later to upgrade to LiFePO4 you don't have to make a big change to the electronics. An inverter/charger combo is the easy way.

New day and more info. First, HRTKD, I agree if I replace the Xantrex I will go Pure Sine. These days there is less difference in price when you get to 2500 to 3K watt systems and Pure Sine is preferred for clean energy. I talked today with the Xantrex service center in Houston and the cost (not counting shipping) is $75 + parts. For that price I am tempted to send it and have it checked out. Your suggestion about programing is interesting as that is not a subject that has even been considered. I do not know anyone but may look local to see if I can find someone with this knowledge.

View attachment 27784

Honestly if it were me, I would ditch the modified sine wave and get a full sine wave inverter. There are various options, I am on the facebook group: 'Safari Motorhome Owners Group' ...and I've seen several different viable options for the inverter/chargers people there use. Mine came with a Magnum 2800w MS2812 charger/inverter (with ME-RC50 remote panel), and I like it just fine no complaints (remote panel is nice). Magnum inverters are well known for RV market and are reliable. I personally would stay with 12v unless you want to get involved with other big changes, since all your accessories are built around 12v (unless you need a lot more watts than around 3kw)...

I have a separate PWM charge controller on mine currently (bought it that way) and it works fine for the 4 panels on the roof, I am going to replace it for a Victron 150|70 MPPT charge controller soon though, as it is much more advanced and has app management. I'll put that on as soon as I get my 12v lithium LiFePO4

View attachment 27784

I have a separate PWM charge controller on mine currently (bought it that way) and it works fine for the 4 panels on the roof, I am going to replace it for a Victron 150|70 MPPT charge controller soon though, as it is much more advanced and has app management. I'll put that on as soon as I get my 12v lithium LiFePO4 battery bank done built (as soon as the 8x 280ah cells arrive from China hehe)...
If I replace it I will go pure sine. I too am on Safari Motorhome Owners group. I think I saw a post from you (threr or here) about your planned battery bank but can not find it now. I want to re-read it as if its the same your whole solar system cost you about $2K. Is that you?

battery bank done built (as soon as the 8x 280ah cells arrive from China hehe)...

Back