diy solar

diy solar

Time to go Solar in central California.

Dandrews

First off, thank you Will for the great videos. Your presentation is excellent and direct. I've learned much about the current state of the solar world from your platform.
I am an architect with some sustainable design experience and I dearly want to cut the PG&E cord. My issue is that I am in a rural area with an all electric home. I've had a few local "Solar" guys come by and tell me that I can't go solar due to the amount of my power I use; or I can install dozens of panels and generate power for PG&E that they will graciously store for me. I do not wish to partner with PG&E, I want to get rid of them. My PG&E bill shows my daily usage between 25 KWH and 70 KW depending on the time of year. Some have suggested that I get propane to serve my water heater and range. To me, that's just another utility that sends me a monthly bill. I believe there is a solar power system out there that will take me to energy independence without mortgaging the house.
My electric water heater and electric range are killing me in energy consumption. My well pump is not so bad and I never use the electric heat (we have a wood burning stove that heats the whole house). Installing a solar water pre-heat unit is in the works as well as installing a hybrid water heater. There isn't much I can do about the range, but I can build an outdoor kitchen with solar ovens and a wood burning cooktop. That will take some of the demand off the electric range. I am also looking at some passive options to reduce my air conditioning demand.
If any of you in the Forum are in a similar situation as I am, please offer any suggestions or experiences you may have. I will be energy independent soon and I'm always looking for ideas that will help me get there. Battery and inverter technologies are improving at a rapid rate and it's hard to keep informed. All comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and God bless you all.

You want a hybrid water heater.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...-Electric-Water-Heater-XE40T10H45U0/312742067

Shop around. Can be added now to get started.

I assume all lighting is LED.

Need to max out the roof and have a substantial battery. Conservation is key and should mostly get you through until expansion of the system can be done as needed. The biggest issue is multiple consecutive days or weeks without much sun to generate power.

Depending on the building code where you are you may not be able to disconnect from the grid. However nothing says yo have to use a specific amount of kWhrs. I use a hybrid battery powered inverter and AC coupled GT micro inverters. During the summer I am able to reduce my kWh usage to zero and store some energy to use in winter when solar production is less. I am not yet all electric but moving in that direction because I do not want natural gas in the home. Mini split heat pump AC was first conversion. Next is heat pump water heater. The best investment is reducing the energy loss from the building envelope. Next more efficient appliances and time shifting usage to use solar. I estimate my rooftop solar system amortized over twenty years produces energy at $0.08-.10 per kWh. To store that energy and use it later adds $0.14 to 0.20 per kWh.
That is just the beginning of a plan for me to become energy independent. See my signature for details.

Thank you both for the reply. We think alike. I have been researching the heat pump water heater and one downside is the noise. I've read many comments on the noise level when the heat pump engages. If one can pre-heat the water, the heat pump will not engage as often or run as long. Of course, that won't help at night. Like everything else, weigh the options.

It’s very difficult to cut the cord and continue using 25-70kWh per day without either a major lifestyle change and/or converting some devices (heater, stove, water heater, dryer) to fossil fuel.

I recommend going with the biggest solar + battery you can afford. You’ll still be connected to the grid but using much less of their energy.

one downside is the noise.
Ha. I agree the Cha Ching of the power company is pretty silent as they collect your money. Sound insulation or other mitigations are alternatives to paying your power company. It all depends on where you are standing. In my case my HPWH is in the garage but i can think of many solutions to the noise issue if it were in the house.

It’s very difficult to cut the cord and continue using 25-70kWh per day without either a major lifestyle change and/or converting some devices (heater, stove, water heater, dryer) to fossil fuel.
The best bang for the buck is energy conservation. With technology today, it does not have to be a major lifestyle change.

Keep in mind, an 8kW array, for example, can produce around 48kWh/day in the summer in central Cal but only 12kWh on a sunny day in the winter. If you’re avg daily use is 25kWh when the days are short, it will require a lot of panels or halving ones consumption by decreasing energy losses, increasing appliance energy efficiency and/or changing daily routine.

For us, solar was a no-brainer. We are also in CA. We use the most power in the summer when we also happen to generate the most power. Being in CA make that aspect nice at least - lots of sun. Panels used to cost $4.50/watt 20 years ago. Now you can get them for under $0.70/watt. Same with inverters. A 5,000 watt inverter used to cost $5,000. Now it costs $1,200 or less.

You said you are rural - can you install a ground mount? If yes, get the most panels you can and think about adding a battery later. You can easily generate 70KWH in CA in the summer. You will probably need a 14kw array. Say about 40-44 panels. If you can fit them somewhere, you can do it. So 14kw system at say $1.00/watt = $14,000 for panels and inverter. Then add labor, mounts, wiring. Rooftop gets a bit more challenging.

A neighbor got a 12.5kw ground system installed for $40,000 after rebates for comparison.

Last edited:
As stated above get a hybrid water heater, I cannot speak highly enough about getting one. The unit I bought puts out cold dehumified air year round. The garage is where I specify them in the houses I design. Also consider an induction stove top, they heat very fast and the electric coils of a standard oven/top is very intensive.

DONT install a solar preheat water heater since its just not worth it (Pump parasitic loads) unless you go all solar water heater. Again not worth it. A hybrid WH is 2.5 or higher efficient compared to a standard water heater. Hell you may still even get a rebate to switch the WH from PGE before you cut the cord.

Everyone one here is absolutely correct - 1st reduction in usage, 2nd get a mid range solar system, and then add battery's once you have hit your consumption down enough to cover your loads in winter.

If your in the desert area you should see at least 5.5hrs or more of solar production. So if you size a 4KW solar system assume around 22KWH per day production. Winter will be good but 40-50% less depending on the weather as noted above.

Something to consider is the new NEM changes, or even some of the proposed changes to the NEM program. Its not as effective to put solar up as it once was with the NEM 2.0 or NEM 3.0 coming. What ever you do -- I would move hell and earth to get it done sooner than later. If your in NorCal check out Fortune Entergy in sac they sell wholesale solar panels, but you may need to get a electrician to install or make final connections since they changed the rules on owner install.

diy solar

diy solar
Back