diy solar

diy solar

Top Balance Question for 48v 16s1p 280ah DIY bank

rerdely

I have 16 280ah prismatic cells to top balance. What do you think about me connecting this these in series and then up to an overkill solar BMS and monitor it. I will wait until one of the cells gets to about 3.5 volts. Then I will hook them up in parallel with a 10 amp charger to top balance from that point. Otherwise it would take weeks with my 10 amp charger. If I do this, I would hook them up to my solar mppt charge controller and let it bring that 1st cell up to 3.5volts. That way I could charge from solar most of the way at 100 amps and just top balance from there. Thoughts

I have 16 280ah prismatic cells to top balance. What do you think about me connecting this these in series and then up to an overkill solar BMS and monitor it. I will wait until one of the cells gets to about 3.5 volts. Then I will hook them up in parallel with a 10 amp charger to top balance from that point. Otherwise it would take weeks with my 10 amp charger. If I do this, I would hook them up to my solar mppt charge controller and let it bring that 1st cell up to 3.5volts. That way I could charge from solar most of the way at 100 amps and just top balance from there. Thoughts
That should work fine .... others have done the same, and it may even be the best way.

The one downside I can think of is the wear and tear on the terminals every time you reconfigure .... do you have the tapped pad or the laser welded studs?

Welded. Saw too many issues with the eve cells so I intentionally bought ones that have studs that are welded. I actually ordered 34 of the batteries (2 extra). I plan on building two 16s1p banks and then connecting them both to a 12,000 watt inverter on a busbar. I want to have enough storage to live in the 20% - 80% part of my storage. Almost 30 kWh of storage. Any comments or suggestions. And BTW, thanks!

Your plan will have less risk with the welded studs .... I'm not really up to speed on larger systems .... I'm sure others who have larger systems will check in.
My larger pack is only about 5 KW.

Sounds to me like you have done your homework and are on the right track.

Having no knowledge of the welded or threaded studs I just received 32 eve280 batteries threaded. Is there anything I can do to help minimize damage. I'm about to start the top balance process as well and would like to follow this process. I'm doing 2 16s1p banks with at least one hopefully two more 16s1p bundles in the future. Using overwatch BMS

Back