diy solar

diy solar

Tricky Panel Mount Issue - Static Caravan

TotoMimo

Hello lovely folks!

I live most of the year in my Willerby Winchester down by the beach in the Scottish Borders. It's an idyllic life for me, if not for the rising cost of electricity!

I've decided to go solar, and have purchased three 550w panels with the intention of building a storage battery later. The tricky part for me, however, isn't the electrics... it's the panel fitting.

Some of you may already know the chassis of static caravans are wood, aluminium and compound insulation, but my roof also has waxed acrylic tiles. This makes it good for keeping water out but AWFUL for fitting solar panels onto!!

Now, I COULD drill... but as Willerby said to me directly, it will affect my insurance and unseal the roof. My alternatives are to use a solar panel adhesive (which is apparently very strong but only supposed to be used on flat surfaces as seen on boats and tourers) or something akin to my diagram here. I'd also suggested an armature but it also counts as "modding" my van.

Important to note - this "tension" method drags all the weight to the centre of the roof ridge, which is a lot of pressure (up to 70kg full load) in one place.

Does anyone know what the best plan is here? Have any of you successfully fitted panels to your roof? As the expert down south noted, "it's very possible - we've fitted them before - but a tough decision for you [choosing whether or not to break the van seal and expose the roof]".

Huge thanks in advance.

-Tommy

Hiya Sunshine!

Unfortunately as you might see in the picture, space is a bit of a premium for building new structures (and there's a lower-height tree line on the south side which shields anything shorter than the van).

What about an awning-like structure with the panels on top? Avoids doing anything to the roof and doesn't take up any ground space.

ground mount.

yep. a ground mount could simply be a garage/carport style over top the entire home framed with lumber with posts cemented in the ground.

like this --

If proper roof mounting and proper ground mounting are out of the question, recommend giving up on solar.

I would not do any type of installation that is at least not trying to conform to a code.

I am not quite sure what you're trying to do, appears as if you tie the panels together and then drape them over the roof, perhaps putting a bracket on the overhang, perhaps securing the panels with a bracket over the roof edge. I picture the wind destroying this.

By static caravan, looks like a mobile home, but when I hear static caravan, I think of a dodge caravan that will no longer drive anywhere.

diy solar

diy solar
Back