diy solar

diy solar

Trying to problem solve a large draw from my lithium dcdc battery set up

caz

Hi guys, I have been trying to work out why my lithium batteries have been really slow to charge using a renogy 30ah dcdc system. On checking my battery monitor today, I think I am correct in assuming a have a very large draw while the car is running, though I have nothing connected to any of my Anderson cables or the fridge on. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have posted two pics, one while the car is running, and the other while not running

Attachments

• IMG20231222112419.jpg
    IMG20231222112419.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG20231222113233.jpg
    IMG20231222113233.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 21
Hi guys, I have been trying to work out why my lithium batteries have been really slow to charge using a renogy 30ah dcdc system. On checking my battery monitor today, I think I am correct in assuming a have a very large draw while the car is running, though I have nothing connected to any of my Anderson cables or the fridge on. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have posted two pics, one while the car is running, and the other while not running
Mmm sorry for my lack of knowledge on this new ute and dcdc system. Maybe that large wattage is actually going into the batteries?

Why do you think there is a large draw? The arrow is up and what I assume is the time to full charge is lower when charging.

If the concern is how long it takes to charge, we'll need to know the battery capacity and max charge with the engine running. It shows 20.8 amps in the picture.

Hi guys, I have been trying to work out why my lithium batteries have been really slow to charge using a renogy 30ah dcdc system. On checking my battery monitor today, Im I correct in assuming i have a very large draw of 294w while the car is running, though I have nothing connected to any of my Anderson cables or the fridge on? . Any help is greatly appreciated. I have posted two pics, one while the car is running, and the other while not runnin

IMG20231222112419.jpgIMG20231222113233.jpg
Why do you think there is a large draw? The arrow is up and what I assume is the time to full charge is lower when charging.

If the concern is how long it takes to charge, we'll need to know the battery capacity and max charge with the engine running. It shows 20.8 amps in the picture.
Hi thanks for your reply, sorry for my ignorance, I was assuming that the 294w on the monitor was out going, plus the drop to 5hrs of running time available, suggested that I was using a lot of power when I should only have been charging the batteries with no draw as I have nothing attached .When the car is not running, it shows 1w being used and a run time of 99hrs on the monitor. Maybe I am just misinterpreting what the display of 294w on the monitor represents while running the car

There's a plus or minus near the current reading, that I assume means something.
The timer seems more like it is time to full, vs time to empty. Maybe it's both?

What does the top meter show?

There's a plus or minus near the current reading, that I assume means something.
The timer seems more like it is time to full, vs time to empty. Maybe it's both?

What does the top mean
Sorry, I think that the top screen is for the other deep cycle battery I have under my bonnet. The bottom monitor is for my lithium batteries which are charged off the dcdc. To my understanding the 5.06 is battery time remaining at that level of discharge. And the 294w is output, but I don't have anything connected. I asked the previous guy who owned the ute, and he said it took 2hrs max to charge the batteries

Sorry, I think that the top screen is for the other deep cycle battery I have under my bonnet. The bottom monitor is for my lithium batteries which are charged off the dcdc. To my understanding the 5.06 is battery time remaining at that level of discharge. And the 294w is output, but I don't have anything connected. I asked the previous guy who owned the ute, and he said it took 2hrs max to charge the batteries
I could be completely wrong with my assumptions, this is my understanding from watching a few detailed videos and briefly scrolling through the manual

I could be completely wrong with my assumptions, this is my understanding from watching a few detailed videos and briefly scrolling through the manual

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-12-22-14-10-59-08_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-12-22-14-10-59-08_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 8
That says time remaining. It doesn't say to full or empty.

If you let it charge for a while, does the Ah number increase? This is the charge capacity in the battery.

Edit: it is possible that the shunt for that battery meter is installed backwards, where it would show discharge and charge backwards.

With my victron battery monitor I see a positive number for watts and amps when I'm charging more than I'm drawing and a negative number when I'm drawing more than I'm charging.

A charger rated at 30A putting out 20A seems pretty normal.

diy solar

diy solar
Back