diy solar

diy solar

Two small Air conditioners on Solar

tammons

I have a fair size house but only use 2 rooms 99% of the time. One is a north facing office/sun room (maybe 180 sf with a lot of windows) and the other my bedroom (about 150 SF).

So that I am not running the entire house AC all the time, I would like to use an 8000-12000 BTU AC in the sun room and a 5000 BTU unit in the bedroom. The bedroom unit will run at night for 8 hours. This one seems simple since it would charge in the day and run at night. At a 50% cycle rate it should run for 7 hours off a fully charged 300 amp 14v battery. However it will need to charge in 6 hours of full sun, so 800 watts of solar should take care of that although to account for cloudy days I may need 1200+ watts of solar?

The office room AC I will only run in the day from 8am to 11pm. This one is more tricky.
I am thinking saddle AC units.

So far I have two 100 amp 12v battery boxes, one 150amp, and one 300 amp box.
A 1200 watt and a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter.
I have several MPPT chargers and four 200 watt rigid solar panels, two 200 watt Cigs plus a 100 amp Cigs panel, and one portable 200 watt folding solar panel. The Cigs and portable I dont want to leave out 24/7 so will buy more rigid solar panels of I move forward.

After playing around with an Ecoflow Wave II (5000 BTU supplemental AC running on Eco mode so not really running at 5000 BTU) on 500 watts of solar running through a 100 amp battery box, and that seems to keep up for the most part only as supplemental AC, I am guessing for each saddle A/C unit, it will take at least 800-1200 watts of solar and a 300 amp battery box.

Or do I need more?

I guess for the Sun room I could use an EG4 mini split and run it directly off solar during the day and have more panels to charge a large battery bank for cloudy weather, but was trying to keep the install simple like drop the A/C in the window frame and plug it in.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back