diy solar

diy solar

Utilising leftover panels

tomuk77

Hi all,

I require some advice if anyone will be kind enough to help. I recently helped a friend install 28 x 600 W solar panels with 2 x 8.8 kW Sunsynk hybrid inverters and a 15kw 48v 304ah custom lifepo4 battery with jbd 200ah BMS.

He had 3 panels left over from the pallet and kindly gave them to me.

I was planning to fit them on my roof alongside a full solar install but sadly I can’t afford the full solar install right now. My wife is physically disabled so the house has to be Very warm (this is mainly gas central heating though), I have four teenage children, live in a reasonably large house and My electricity bill is ridiculous. I need to do what I can to reduce it if possible, hence this post.

The daily usage is between 20and 30 kWh in our house.

What would be the best and cheapest way to utilise these panels? I have a large bus on my front drive (yes a bus…don’t ask) and I am thinking I could build a simple frame and pop them on top of this as they are in the correct position for decent exposure. Although I have reasonable knowledge due to the previous install, this was related to hybrid inverters, which are reasonably expensive compared to this build. I should add I am reasonably experienced in low voltage applications, and have built many lifepo4 battery packs with bms

I do have cable and MC connectors left over, so I guess what I’m asking is… What is the cheapest combination of charger/Inverter to get the power into my house and off my electricity bill? I do have 8x 12v leisure batteries, but these are probably past their best and maybe not worth considering in the build.

Would I be correct in thinking it wouldn’t be worth sending any back into the grid with such a small array and our usage so high, especially with this install being done as cheap as humanly possible.

I still plan to have a nice large array on my roof…but this could be 2/3 years away and it seems a shame to have these panels sat there doing nothing.

Anyway, if you can spare some time to point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated. Oh, I have added a pick of the panel spec below/above

Many thanks

Tom

Based in UK

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpeg
    IMG_0234.jpeg
    968.5 KB · Views: 8
What would be the best and cheapest way to utilise these panels?
I would buy a small battery and one of the MPP Solar AIO’s and run my constant draw lower-amp loads through it- think fridges, lights, tv, furnace etc

1800W of panels should knock out a fair amount of kWh cost daily, but the ROI period might be a concern you should calculate on paper and decide what makes sense for your situation.

diy solar

diy solar
Back