diy solar

diy solar

Victron 100/30 controller

Larry Joe

Hello,
I’m rather new & dumb on a lot of this solar stuff & would like some info about controller use:
How well will a victron 100/30 Mppt controller work with 8ea 100w panels that are approx 22v max & 6a max Ea. I would put them in a 4s2p configuration which I think would be 88v max & 12a to be used in a 12v system.
I know it is an over paneled situation for 100/30 but I now own that controller & can upgrade to a 100/50 later when I get a little extra $$
Thanks for replies,
Larry

Have a look at this site (and use the calc based on your solar panel sticker/specs), to make sure you won't go over on Voc at extreme cold temps:

You can overpanel somewhat on amps (with Victron, look at the specs sheet, up to 35a circuit Isc max), but no SCC can tolerate going over max PV volts input.

1664389432980.png

If you want to stick with 800w of panels you could always add another 100/30 when funds allow and split your array in two. That would be enough to fully use 800w of panels, with only one you'll only be able to pull in around 400w max.

If you want to stick with 800w of panels you could always add another 100/30 when funds allow and split your array in two. That would be enough to fully use 800w of panels, with only one you'll only be able to pull in around 400w max.

Yes, and even can then use Victron network SCC syncing feature (if you get a Smartshunt or BMV battery monitor), which keeps both chargers in same charge cycle together. I do that on my RV with 2 Victron SCC's, and a BMV-712 battery monitor, works nice, adds better redundancy too...

Thanks everyone for the replies. I know this is not the optimum situation but mainly wanted to make sure it will work this way.
I have a trimetric 2030 battery monitor which I really like. Of course I’ve been using it with lead acid G C batteries but see no reason it should not be okay for this new setup with LIFEPO4 batteries.
Thanks again.

Back