diy solar

diy solar

What are the aging characteristics of solar panels?

wpns

Solar Joules are catch and release
I've got some Q-Cells Q.Pro BFR-G3 260 260W (60 Cell Poly) panels that are closing in on 9 years old, and still appear to be working well. I'm looking at moving them to another inverter (probably EG4 18Kpv)
Their original specs:
8.99A Isc (8.45 Impp)
38.00Voc (30.78 Vmpp)
As panels age, does the current, or voltage, or both degrade, or does the MPP shift, or what? There must be enough experience with decades-old panels by now. Not really looking to replace them, as that seems to be an oddball size nowadays, so I'd need to rework my racking, etc, so I'm mostly just wondering and trying to figure out how I'd replace a damaged one...
Thanks!

Last edited:
They probably have reduced output now, but not by enough to notice or care. Somewhere between 18 and 30 years you will begin seeing declining output performance.
While I personally would not buy used panels, I’d definitely not replace your panels, now, either.

In fifteen years the entire solar power landscape will have changed dramatically, and wildhat guessing that the AIO will request its replacement in 8-20 years. Regardless of that, panels are probably the least degrading component in your system.

They probably have reduced output now, but not by enough to notice or care. Somewhere between 18 and 30 years you will begin seeing declining output performance.
While I personally would not buy used panels, I’d definitely not replace your panels, now, either.

In fifteen years the entire solar power landscape will have changed dramatically, and wildhat guessing that the AIO will request its replacement in 8-20 years. Regardless of that, panels are probably the least degrading component in your system.
The future looks bright?

“Plenty of solar technology advancements are coming soon. A world record-breaking solar panel reached 47% efficiency in a lab. That same panel reached 40% efficiency in real-life conditions. By combining six collectors, or photoactive layers, into a single panel, scientists at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) converted 40% of the sun's energy into electricity in "single sun" conditions, or conditions created to mimic the sun's irradiance.

Manufacturers created each photovoltaic layer to harness different wavelengths of energy so the panel can convert energy from a higher percentage of the rays that hit its surface. This technology differs from traditional solar cells because 140 layers of the six collector materials are used to make this high-efficiency panel. Researchers say that this technology can even be fine-tuned to reach 50% efficiency.”

The future looks bright?

“Plenty of solar technology advancements are coming soon. A world record-breaking solar panel reached 47% efficiency in a lab. That same panel reached 40% efficiency in real-life conditions. By combining six collectors, or photoactive layers, into a single panel, scientists at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) converted 40% of the sun's energy into electricity in "single sun" conditions, or conditions created to mimic the sun's irradiance.

Manufacturers created each photovoltaic layer to harness different wavelengths of energy so the panel can convert energy from a higher percentage of the rays that hit its surface. This technology differs from traditional solar cells because 140 layers of the six collector materials are used to make this high-efficiency panel. Researchers say that this technology can even be fine-tuned to reach 50% efficiency.”
I've been following solar power technology for 5 decades now, and have seen every promise made. Yet here I am with Poly panels (and some new ones that are Mono). If space is no issue, then dollars per watt installed is the primary criteria, those '40%' panels are either never going to be available, or be $10/watt, or have 5-year lifespans or something.

I have some ARCO and Solarex panels on my roof that are more than 35 years old and still going strong. The voltage output hasn't changed but I haven't checked amperage output of the individual panels. BTW the ARCO are mono crystal and the Solarex are poly crystal. I also have a couple really old panels, age unknown, with 2.5" round cells on a fiberglass backing with silicone on top instead of glass. Probably at least 40 years old and still working.

I've been following solar power technology for 5 decades now, and have seen every promise made. Yet here I am with Poly panels (and some new ones that are Mono). If space is no issue, then dollars per watt installed is the primary criteria, those '40%' panels are either never going to be available, or be $10/watt, or have 5-year lifespans or something.
So you’ve witnessed no improvement in solar panel efficiency in five decades? Wow.

I have some ARCO and Solarex panels on my roof that are more than 35 years old and still going strong. The voltage output hasn't changed but I haven't checked amperage output of the individual panels. BTW the ARCO are mono crystal and the Solarex are poly crystal. I also have a couple really old panels, age unknown, with 2.5" round cells on a fiberglass backing with silicone on top instead of glass. Probably at least 40 years old and still working.
Yeah, I just put a 20W panel from the dawn of time with a new charge controller on my boat, and it starts every time now!

I bought 9yr old, poly, 285w panels from @SanTan Solar and they tested 95%+ compared to new 285w mono panel - doing a voltage + clamp meter (v * a) comparison to the reference new one. Close enough for me but I agree the test was not 'that rigorous'.

Have deployed 6 in parallel with existing 3s strings for 2yrs now to augment the newer 285w panels and they appear to be keeping up A-OK.

You know, if you're the type of person that is concerned about 10w loss out of 285w (no judgement) then I don't know as my metrics are not that precise, but at a gross metric level - 11yr old is just as good as 6yr old as far as I can tell. Got a fine boost by adding 6 cheap panels :)

Last edited:
Back