diy solar

diy solar

What should the voltage be for a Brand New 12V 100AH AGM SLA Deep Cycle Battery out of the box.

DASH

Solar Enthusiast
So, I purchased an inexpensive 12V 100Ah AGM Deep Cycle Battery. I checked the voltage of the new never been used battery and it's at 9.42 volts. I figure the battery would be at operating voltage when shipped. Is the low voltage normal for a brand new AGM battery that has never been used, or is it defective. Thanks for any help, You can give me about this.

Maybe defective or just been siting neglected in a warehouse for a long time. I work at a shop that sells many, many powersport sized batteries every month. LA, SLA, and Gel Cell are never 100% when new.

You have one solid chance to save that battery and get the cycle life. You need to get the mfr charging specs and charge the battery exactly how they outline.

Personally, I would try to get a refund/return as AGM batteries are very picky about charging / cycling routine if you are seeking max cycle life.

When looking for the date code on the battery, I discovered a small jagged hole on the bottom corner of the battery case. The seller said he's going to ship me out a new battery. I'm glad I didn't attempt to use that battery. I'll let You know what happens.

Yesterday, it's been a week since the seller said he would send out a replacement battery. Haven't heard from him, and no indication the replacement battery had been sent out, so I called and left a message and also sent out another email with the detailed information (It's possible that he didn't get my email). I checked my email today, and received a notice from the seller that he would ship out the replacement battery. I also received a notice from UPS that the battery has been shipped.

I just got one deliver yesterday and checked it. 12.1 volts.

Reactions: Mia
Thanks Markus. I'll let You know what voltage i get out of the replacement that's being sent, once I recieve it.

So, I did receive the replacement battery. The terminals were slightly corroded, but I got 12.6 volts right from the box. I've used the battery for awhile, and it appears to be working okay. I'll probably go with Lithium batteries next time. But this is good for the time being.

Reactions: Mia
Back