diy solar

diy solar

Where to connect Multiplus to RV power?

RoadTurtle

Solar Enthusiast
Current config
Power Supply --> Automatic transfer switch --> EMS --> Power supply

I thought the ATS was in the front of the trailer, it's not, it's in the back :( Now I have to run two new cables from the back to the Multiplus.

Do I run multiplus between ATS and EMS or after EMS?

I kind of want to keep the ATS, and I've wired another outlet on the front of the trailer and used the generator wire in the front pass through to feed the trailer.

With all due respect, I'm a bit confusd. Your config starts and ends with power supply and I'm not sure what EMS stands for in this context.

I would think something like Shore Power-->ATS-->MultiPlus-->120V Distribution Panel would be what you are after.

Either side of the EMS is fine. Not sure what the two are for. Please make an actual diagram with everything proposed.

Automatic transfer switch is primarily designed for onboard generator. I've hijacked that connector for a 2nd power source at the front of the trailer.
EMS is electrical management system, think of it as a surge protector on steroids, as it will shut off inbound power if voltage is too high, too low, or is interrupted.
If you were asking what two wires (cables) are for, then it's the inbound and outbound A/C power to and from the multiplus.

So the generator hookup is in the front compartment of the fifth wheel. This generator connection and the utility power feed the existing transfer switch. Then power is fed through the EMS to the main panel somewhere in the middle of the trailer. Batteries are in the front compartment so the Multiplus probably needs to go there. Yes?

Yea this makes it difficult to feed utility power to the Multiplus up front to provide battery charging. Do you need a Multiplus vs a simple stand alone inverter? Might need a converter upgrade to charge the battery.

Or is this a MH with a generator and battery in the back? Similar logistics.

5th wheel power input is in rear of the trailer. I added a 2nd power inlet in the front and tied it to the "gen" input. My reasons for that input is still currently desired. I can run my small generator in the truck bed and feed 120v to the trailer while driving. If I have enough battery and solar, this need may go away. On our travels to AZ, we had several days of rain and snow, and combined with a charger issue, batteries took a huge hit and twice shut off at 4am. I've tripled solar and doubled battery capacity to 1200w and 400ah.

Yes I would mount the Victron up front and feed power through the existing power connection. Will not have charging unless power is connected to the front. This will feed 120v power to the transfer switch back by the main electric panel. Use what you have, pulling wire through blind areas is a PITN. Assuming the oem charging situation is resolved it should be fine.

When the inverter is providing power, that oem converter will need to be disabled. Fridge and water set to propane only. I put my converter on a separate breaker and it just stays off unless needed. Been years since my converter was used as my solar takes care of the battery even if I have hookups.

diy solar

diy solar
Back