diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18K Automatic Grid Charge of EG4 Batteries

bob.longmire

Hi All,

I noticed the 18K will automatically charge my batteries to 15% SOC from the grid, even when I have AC charging as off.

Has anyone else noticed this?

If I set my On-Grid Cut Off AC to 10% and my Off-Grid Cut Off AC at 10%, when the battery gets to 10% SOC, the inverter will use AC charge to get it to 15% then it'll stop.

Any guesses on if I have a setting misconfigured?

Thanks all!

Bob

I’m noticing this as well and can’t figure it out. In my case when there is no PV the batteries are charging from the grid anywhere between 500-800 watts. I also have AC Charge turned off. Did you ever find a solution?

This is it's "oh shit" mode to stop your batteries from running too low and possibly causing you to lose power.
It's a fantastic feature but if you don't want it, try turning off "charge from AC power"

I’m noticing this as well and can’t figure it out. In my case when there is no PV the batteries are charging from the grid anywhere between 500-800 watts. I also have AC Charge turned off. Did you ever find a solution?
My MPPSolar units do this also.
For me, this is a feature, not a flaw.
AC charging is off. To grid is set at 49v. Back to battery is set at 52v.

When the battery gets low, the inverters switch to grid. They cover all the loads plus about 3 amps combined (1½ per). I believe this is a buffer current. The practical effect is that it covers my loads and puts a small charge current on my batteries to get them off the bottom so they're not sitting there at a low state of charge for an extended period of time.
And then the Sun comes out again, battery voltage recovers above 52 and all is right with the world.

The net effect is SOC recovers to about 9% by the time the battery has absorbed to 52 volts.

Back