diy solar

diy solar

12v harbor freight battery for solar

Dimitri

I have two harborfreight 12v batteries in parallel that connect to a 12v outdoor light. Its been working fine all winter until yesterday. I found one of the batteries swelling and very hot so I removed it. The batteries and the solar controller are in a enclosed weathertight box outdoors. What could be the reason for the swelling? Both batteries have worked before properly in the enclosure. Is it the quality of the battery? The remaining one is working normally and the outdoor light comes on. what should i do to give me more then the 35ah of the one battery? Id like to have more current which is why i added the second battery.

thanks,
Dimitri

I have two harborfreight 12v batteries in parallel that connect to a 12v outdoor light. Its been working fine all winter until yesterday. I found one of the batteries swelling and very hot so I removed it. The batteries and the solar controller are in a enclosed weathertight box outdoors. What could be the reason for the swelling? Both batteries have worked before properly in the enclosure. Is it the quality of the battery? The remaining one is working normally and the outdoor light comes on. what should i do to give me more then the 35ah of the one battery? Id like to have more current which is why i added the second battery.

thanks,
Dimitri

Assuming:

It has failed. Likely one cell shorted and the others were over-charged causing swelling.

This is simply how batteries fail. It could be due to improper charging, abuse, etc.

If you've got the space for a full size battery, go get a Wally World DC29 deep cycle. For about $100 out the door it's good for 60+Ah compared to the Harbor Freight 35Ah is $80 for 17Ah of capacity.

I don't disagree with the recommendation, but...

Pfft... DC29 120Ah rating is at 1A or C120 rating, which is fully silly.

They're about 90Ah C20.

Still a good value.

Back