diy solar

diy solar

1500lbs of solar on fifth wheel roof?

callidus

I'm currently having a system installed similar to this solar system:
. Our concern is that we will be placing too much weight on the roof of our fifth wheel. It's going to 1,500 lbs total distributed evenly across the entire 41 foot roof. Has anyone had any experience with placing 1000lbs+ of solar panels and brackets on rv roofs? Any input from experienced installers/diy'ers appreciated.

INMO That’s insanely dangerous to out that much up there.

Don’t do that without contacting the manufacturer.

I would not see the manufacture taking liability for that.

I have 1650 watts on the roof, and 900 on the ground. My build is in my signature block. My panels, on the roof are less than a couple hundred pounds.

Now there is a use for cigs / flexible panels if I ever saw one.

How in the hell is that 1500lbs??? I had 12x 240w SunPower panels up on top of my roof, and even with all the racking and bracketry, it wasn't over 500lbs!

I haven't watched the video, and maybe I will when I get some time. But even on the heavy side, I don't think its over 1000lbs.

How in the hell is that 1500lbs??? I had 12x 240w SunPower panels up on top of my roof, and even with all the racking and bracketry, it wasn't over 500lbs!

I haven't watched the video, and maybe I will when I get some time. But even on the heavy side, I don't think its over 1000lbs.
It's 3 times as much solar (7600watts) on motorized extenders. So, (20) 380watt panels, probably weigh between 40-45lbs each.. so we'll say 860lbs. The racking and motors weighing another 640lbs does seem possible.. although he is using aluminum, so I would think it would come in on the lighter side of racking weight.

I'm currently having a system installed similar to this solar system:
. Our concern is that we will be placing too much weight on the roof of our fifth wheel. It's going to 1,500 lbs total distributed evenly across the entire 41 foot roof. Has anyone had any experience with placing 1000lbs+ of solar panels and brackets on rv roofs? Any input from experienced installers/diy'ers appreciated.

If it was me I would just rip out all the upper cabinets and anything else higher than the counter tops. Should more than compensate for the extra weight.

If it was me I would just rip out all the upper cabinets and anything else higher than the counter tops. Should more than compensate for the extra weight.
Alternatively, he could just put tons of batteries on/under the floor. That would counterbalance the weight. Might need an even beefier truck and more fuel though.

My setup will be over 1500 lbs. Safe, yes or no?

IT IS NOT SAFE.

You are raising the center of gravity and will be a road hazard or worse.

I would not think it's safe. Like I said, I added about 500lbs, but since my trailer weighed 22,000lbs total, I did not feel it very much. 1500lbs though, is a very different story on a much lighter trailer.

I just put up six 450 watt panels along with aluminum residential roof rails on my rig. My 38 ft. RV is a well built 2011 with an upgraded independent suspension. I made sure I spread the rail attach points around to all the trusses I could. I'm pushing the cargo capacity with the panels, batteries, & inverter I installed. If the suspension wasnt upgraded & the roof trusses on 16" centers with aluminum truss structure and a heavy duty steel chassis, l would have never installed solar.

OP, you are pushing, and probably exceeding the engineering safety limits on that rig. I hope you don't have it up north when a foot or more wet, heavy snow piles on it.

Last edited:
I just put up six 450 watt panels along with aluminum residential roof rails on my rig. My 38 ft. RV is a well built 2011 with an upgraded independent suspension. I made sure I spread the rail attach points around to all the trusses I could. I'm pushing the cargo capacity with the panels, batteries, & inverter I installed. If the suspension wasnt upgraded & the roof trusses on 16" centers with aluminum truss structure and a heavy duty steel chassis, l would have never installed solar.

OP, you are pushing, and probably exceeding the engineering safety limits on that rig. I hope you don't have it up north when a foot or more wet, heavy snow piles on it.
this is a good point, thank you

You have center of gravity and weight capacity of the roof to consider. I've seen tons of car carrier semis with cars just on the roof so with a 5th wheel I'd think it'll be a lot better than bumper pull

If this was a fifth wheel toy hauler I would say it's possible. Toy haulers can easily handle that much weight. But, as noted multiple times in this thread, putting that much weight up that high is going to be a center of gravity issue. Most non-toy hauler trailers would have at most 1500 lbs of cargo capacity. Which means once you put that PV system in, you can't travel with any water in the tanks, food in the fridge, etc.

If this was a fifth wheel toy hauler I would say it's possible. Toy haulers can easily handle that much weight. But, as noted multiple times in this thread, putting that much weight up that high is going to be a center of gravity issue. Most non-toy hauler trailers would have at most 1500 lbs of cargo capacity. Which means once you put that PV system in, you can't travel with any water in the tanks, food in the fridge, etc.
I agree having a toy hauler will help. Ours had a 4000lbs cargo capacity, but that meant at floor level, idk about 10ft higher.

These ROOFs are rated to hold a 350lb owner standing on his feet.

Now imagine how much pressure those roofs have on them when a 150lb pair of panels is spread out over 18 square feet.

Back