diy solar

diy solar

150watt 52v solar panel with a BLUETTI EB3A Portable Power Station

Loneeagler

Hi, a newbie at solar. I have a solar panel it's a 150watt 52v solar panel. The manual says output is 58.8v 2.55A Max DC. 73.4V Open Circuit V, 2.51A Short circuit current. I want to use it with a BLUETTI EB3A Portable Power Station. It has a DC input Power of 200 watt max,12v-28VDC max & 8.5A max. I have a Victron energy smartsolar 75/15 MPPT Solar Charge Controller it's specs.
  • Battery Voltage: 12V/24V Auto Select
  • Rated Charging Current: 15A
  • Maximum PV Short Circuit Current: 15A
  • Maximum PV Open Circuit Voltage: 100V
  • Nominal PV Power (12V System): 220W
  • Nominal PV Power (24V System): 440W
  • Maximum Efficiency: 98%
  • Self-Consumption: 10mA
  • Charging Algorithm: Multi-Stage
  • Charging Voltage (Absorption): 14.4V / 28.8V (adjustable)
  • Charging Voltage (Float): 13.8V / 27.6V (adjustable)
I got no power showing going to the battery after plugging this into the EB3A just the solar panel input showing 63 V fluctuating.
Can this Victron energy smartsolar mppt 75/15 (Solar Charger Controller MPPT solar Controller work for stepping down my power to work with this BLUETTI battery Power Station? If not any recommendations? Thanks Ahead of time.

Last edited:
I have a similar question - I have a pair of panels, Suniva 260w, Voc=38.1v., 9.08 amps (Isc) 8.6a Imp. I’d like to use one with a 10-year old Goal Zero Yeti 1250, max input voltage is 24v, max input 200w. Is there a product that could step this voltage down so I can use it?

I don't believe you can use the MPPT directly to step down the voltage. I know you can use the MPPT to charge a battery which simultaneously supplies the "solar input" port to the power station. With the Bluetti, it's best to use a 24v battery, but you could get by with a 12v battery. If using 24v, you may need to limit the charging voltage to 28.0v as that is the Bluetti max input. If the Goal Zero max input is 24.0v, then seems to me you are limited to using a 12v battery as the solar buffer.

Similar thread here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/bluetti-eb3a-battery-expansion-ideas.67759/#post-855699

I am new here so correct me if this is wrong.
With a solar controller, volts go down and amps go up.
150 watts at 24 volts = 6.25 amps so that should work.
However the EB3a already has a built in solar controller.
Maybe use a step down converter?

I have a similar question - I have a pair of panels, Suniva 260w, Voc=38.1v., 9.08 amps (Isc) 8.6a Imp. I’d like to use one with a 10-year old Goal Zero Yeti 1250, max input voltage is 24v, max input 200w. Is there a product that could step this voltage down so I can use it?
Could you use both panels? Standard LED switching power supplies will work at 60V DC which are 180W or less. Above that power they use voltage doubling on the input which will not work on DC without modification. Prices are subject to change but I often troll ebay auctions and get 10A 12V supplies for $10 shipped. Two10A 12V supplies could be put in series to get 24V. These will not track with the panels. They will work well if panels are higher capacity than the draw. You could experiment with just two for less than $25. I use these all over the place. They will work better if a resistor is changed.

Back