diy solar

diy solar

1v Geodesic Dome ideas?

orangezero

Any time I find a decent ground mount idea I find something to dismantle the idea, often it becomes quite expensive.

I was contemplating a solar pergola to shade my porch and back of my house (southern facing, yeah). I'm the guy who would live in a geodesic dome but I've read enough to understand why triangles in a world of rectangular supplies doesn't lend itself to efficiency. But outside?

This particular design is growing on me so I thought I'd get opinions here. The 1v (frequency) geodesic dome is one of the simplest to make; 25 equal length beams and 11 hubs. Magidome sells 11 of them on etsy for $131 right now, but others sell them for sub $300 as well. If you get into 2v or 3v you start looking at various angles, cuts, ugh... complex stuff I'll leave to those with more time and lots more money.

From my estimation, before modeling something up, it appears with an 8ft long beam I'd could fit around two 60 cell panels in each triangular area (at least the ones facing the sun). I'm keen on the idea of having them at various angles, but could envision ways to alter the angle for seasons.

It wouldn't all be solar panels. It would be a 13ft tall structure that could be mostly open or filled in with netting, greenhouse panels, greenhouse plastic, clear plexiglass, wood slats, etc and I could sit under it and have my coffee in the morning.

The only thing I've read is a vague idea of not going over 10ft beams, but they don't mention any of the details. Right now, my idea is leaning towards two separate 1v domes which would have horizontal beams connecting them, although I certainly may start with one.

I really like how inexpensive this could be compared to all the other options I've come across. But I haven't found a single photo of a solar panel mounted on a dome other than homes.

Back