diy solar

diy solar

200+ Volts on SmartShunt

drbytes

Hello

So I've got a bit o an issue; my smartshunt reads over 200+ volts when there is a usb-to-serial connected. When it isn't connected the readings are fine.
This setup has worked for well over a year but then from one day to another it no longer read the right values.

It's hooked up to a pi that does the whole solar thing. I already tried interrupting the positive and groun wire from the usbtoserial to the smartshunt but the problem persists. The second I disconnect it it's back to normal.

Is it borked ?

Are you using the official Victron serial to USB lead, which is opto-isolated? Galvanic isolation will be required as the -ve battery terminal of some inverters (my Solis included) run at about -195V to PE. Connecting a device that is earthed directly to a smart-shunt's serial port doesn't do the smart-shunt any good... don't ask me how I know ⚡:eek:

My postings here may be of interest, although not directly related to the smart-shunt.

You only need the two center wires (RX and TX) from the shunts VE.Direct port (it's an RS232-TTL port), you don't need pins 1 or 4 which are ground and +3.5vdc.
In addition is your PI powered via a DC-DC converter from the batteries? It is possible the cable from the shunt to the PI is creating a ground loop as both are sharing the same power supply.

You only need the two center wires (RX and TX) from the shunts VE.Direct port (it's an RS232-TTL port), you don't need pins 1 or 4 which are ground and +3.5vdc.
Should be 3.3V. Somewhere there will need to be a 0V reference for the TTL pins to work. Recommend galvanic isolation of the official cable - or make up your own opto-isolated circuit - e.g. like this one..

Back