diy solar

diy solar

24v series wiring with 6v FLA

Greenah

I connected them all in series, they were around 6.2-6.3v, but I didn't get to connect the system today. Is it ok to leave them connected with no load?

Also, what's the procedure to balance their charge?

Not connected to a load is not a problem.
To balance a flooded lead acid battery you must do an equalizing charge. (You must have access to each cell. Maintenance free batteries are not candidates for balancing.)
  1. Fully charge the battery.
  2. Test each cell for specific gravity
    1. Note the readings with cell temperature.
    2. Re-fill all the cells to capacity with distilled water.
  3. Commence the equalizing charge. This will cause gassing & water evaporation.
    1. You must follow the battery manufacturers parameters for this charge type.
    2. You must attend to this process. It requires conscious attention & must not be left to automation.
  4. Once the charge criteria are met.
    1. Take the specific gravity of each cell.
    2. Again record your readings with the temperatures.
    3. Again add distilled water to refill each cell.
  5. If the gravity readings are consistent the battery is balanced.

Thanks for the detail!

All of my power electronics are Victron, and both the charge controllers and the charger/inverter have equalisation charge features. Can I rely on those to do the work or should I equalize them before I even power up the system?

Those devices will not add the needed water, nor will they take all the specific gravity readings & record them with the temperatures.
You will have to compare the Victron equalization profile to the manufacturer's specifications and make the necessary adjustments.
Only you will be capable of detecting the aroma of hydrogen sulfide if something goes sideways.
An equalization charge is a Big deal on a submarine. It is not a routine day to day process & requires numerous special precautions & procedures.
It generates a significant volume of hydrogen gas (gassing as mentioned above) as a by product of this process. So care must be exercised, even once the charge is complete.

So while the equipment can automate the voltage, current, & duration of the charge. Someone needs to be alert for problems.

diy solar

diy solar
Back