diy solar

diy solar

30W Solar Panel USB?

As the title say I want to make myself a 30W Solar Panel USB but I found one on aliexpress for good price but I am worried about quality.
Did anyone have something similar? Its about this one - https://aliexpress.com/e/_DEZDm13
Any help is wellcome, thanks!
You can be sure that is not a 30W panel. At the present efficiencies of commonly available panels (approx 22%), these panels require about 50 sq cm of area to yield 1 watt. The "30W" Aliexpress panel advertisement says it is 30cm x 15cm = 450 sq cm, so that's 9 watts at best (and it's probably not even that).

You'll do yourself a favor by avoiding Aliexpress at this stage in your journey. Find a reputable source of products and you'll do much better. At these sizes, expect to pay about $40 for a real 30W panel (that is just a panel, no USB port), and expect that it will be about 1500 sq cm (110 sq in). If you want a ready-to-go rig that folds up compactly and has a USB port (or two) built into it, expect to pay more than $80. If you want max wattage per buck, there are other ways to go.

P.S. IF the Aliexpress panel does produce 9 watts, then it could (theoretically) provide the 5v at 1.5A that the very earliest USB standard provided. This would probably be enough to charge a cell phone, slowly. The ubiquitous USB ports we see today generally provide about twice this much amperage.

If you can provide information on your intended use we could provide more assistance. What are you trying to power? Is weight/size critical? Budget? etc.

Last edited:
Back