diy solar

diy solar

4 panels ...Series/Parallel??

Rbertalotto

Solar Enthusiast
Looking for advise. I have four EcoWorthy 100w panels and a 40A EPEver solar charge controller feeding two 100aH Lithium batteries.
Should I use Series or Parallel or a Series/Parallel configuration on the panels? Please educate me as to why one configuration might be better than the other. Thank you
Specifications of the panels and SCC below
(100aH / 12V batteries X 2......Parallel = 200aH @ 12V)

Attachments

• IMG_1822.jpeg
    IMG_1822.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1823.jpeg
    IMG_1823.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Series parallel is best compromise, two in series in parallel with the other two in series.

All in parallel, advantage, best partially shaded performance, disadvantage, higher current losses in feed cable, poor low light performance, fuses needed for each panel.
All in series, OC volts at 98 volts is too high for the controller, ((100/92 volt limit). Would be viable with a 150 volt controller.

Mike

Reviving this with a nit follow-on.

What should one do with the mid-point of the two series strings? Leave them alone, or cross-connect them? In other words, two parallel strings of two panels each, or two sets of two parallel panels wired in series?

I'm thinking that under some shading scenarios, having that cross-connection between the two strings would yield more output. For example, if the upper left panel and lower right panels got shaded, you'd still have two full-sun panels in series. Without the cross-connect, you'd effectively end up with two panels in parallel in terms of output voltage.

Back