diy solar

diy solar

46v to 12v

Rocket t

Building out 2019 Sprinter. Want to conserve roof space. Have a 300whr draw. What are pros and cons of going with 2, 380w 46w solar modules and stepping them down to charge a 12v Tesla or LiPO4?
Thanks!

There are no cons if you are using a MPPT solar charge controller. With most SCC you could run those panels either in series or parallel.
A PWM controller might not work as the voltage would be too high. You would need a SCC capable of handling 60Amps to the batteries though. And that would be clipping a small amount of power produced IF you had full power produced by panels.

The main thing to consider is what voltage your battery bank is. If you look up the total wattage specs for victrons for example. you'll find that they rate their controllers for 12v vs 24 vs etc systems. A Tesla module will put you up around 24v, LifePO4 you can build for increments of 12v easily.

I’m still educating myself on the electronics of my system. I think I understand what you’re saying: the 46v panels will work as long as the SCC is sized accordingly to handle 60 amps and I’m using an MPPT (which I am). I’m less clear about weather the Tesla module will work in this setup.

And to amplify what Craig said, a MPPT solar charge controller will take the higher voltage, drop it down to what your batteries need AND increase the amperage delivered at the lower voltage to more than the panel rating sticker says. Automagically!

ok, I was just reviewing using a Tesla pack yesterday.

You need a controller that will do the following:
  • Handle the maximum voltage of your panels - that'll be when they are coldest.
  • Handle the maximum amperage of your panels
  • Has adjustable charge setting that support lithium batteries
  • Supports whatever pack voltage you choose - aka a single tesla module is essentially a 24v pack.
For a tesla module, you need a BMS that'll take care of:
  • temperature protection - stop charging when too cold (or hot)
  • voltage protection - stop over and under charging
  • cell level protection - keeps cells balanced (same charge)
The Mortons on the move youtube channel has some good ideas on doing this:
- and I have to commend him on his work. That said, he doesn't (as far as I've seen in his vids) have active cell level protection. He's monitoring it now and then and then balancing if needed. (I would personally run an active BMS on that pack.)

Now, that said, you can get the BMS functions above from some other sources like the Morton build did - such as a battery monitor, etc.

Now to give you some actual answers:
Go put your solar panel info into the victron mppt calculator:

Now play with the voltage options - 12v vs 24v and I'd play with parallel vs serial for the two panels.
Bascially at 12v you need a heftier controller, at 24v you can actually downsize the controller a bit.

Many other controllers will support lithium charging, I just happened to chose victron for mine so I'm referencing their stuff.

One correction SCC needs to handle maximum amps that can go to battery from panels. 2400 Watts at 24 v =100 amps at 12v =200 amps. So the amp ratting of SCC is always the same but it is relative to battery voltage.

fair point, and a good reason to use the calculator I was referring to, since it'll incorporate that.

Annnnd, ironically I just found a tesla module I'm going to pick up....

I'm not sure of the specs of the tesla module but It CAN work depending on your SCC .

Thanks so much you guys for all your thoughts and suggestions.

Willo, I’m going to go deep on your suggestion on using the calculator, that is really sage advice. Thanks!

I'm going to admit that I also gave arizona wind and sun a call. I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking another product and they even pulled up my solar cell specs and double checked the calculations. (I even told them I'd gotten them off amazon, but was shopping for a controller)

Bet you can guess where I've been ordering parts from after that conversation.

Back