diy solar

diy solar

48v 300ah build Costco plastic crate or Seplos type metal case?

Hartswood

About to build my first 48v 300ah battery. I was thinking of buying a Seplos or Luyuan metal rack case and DIY kit when walking around Costco I saw this heavy duty plastic crate.

The internal measurements appear perfect for the 16 cells, leaving some room for fitting a BMS. I intend building the battery in situ as the Costco crate will not be as robust as the metal cases. I think the plastic crate has advantages, it's waterproof, lighter, more room for air circulation, non conductive and battery cables can be rooted directly to the inverter rather than via terminals on the case. Oh and it works out $350 cheaper than the cheapest imported metal case.
I Intend fitting a breaker and fuse outside the plastic crate. The lid fits tightly and can be further secured by zip ties or locks.

What do people think? I know plastic can melt, but is a battery fire in a metal box any less of a problem?

I think its to large and will be to heavy to effectively move around.
I think 2 6 gal milk crates is a better option for 16 300ah cells. You can split the 2 crates up (connect with Anderson connectors) to split the weight and make it easier to transport.

And its not likely to be a battery fire with LFP. Its likely to be wireing/connection that catches fire.

Will appears to use something similar in this battery build.

I weigh the same as a 48v 300ah battery. I think I'll stress test the crate by leaping on it a few times.

It will be safer if you use the battery box, also, it is better for you to manage the battery system.https://youtu.be/fMKh0FBRLjY

Back