diy solar

diy solar

48v 32 cell setup. What BMS is able to be scaled to this size?

robbo123

So I am about to buy 32 x 360ah x 3.7v used electric bus batteries. I cant find an intelligent BMS that can scale to that amount of cells?
Anyone got some links or suggestions? The more intelligent the better - wifi/bluetooth etc.
Its going on a 3 phase fully off grid system (15kw inverters). Looking at around 30-40kw of solar.
Thanks!
Will if you are reading this, be great to get some larger commercial builds - even if hypothetical using pictures etc.
Cheers

I was also spending a lot of time here and elsewhere looking for 48V 32 or 48 cell setup using the EVE-280Ah cells that seem popular here. Hoping others can provide some guidance. Only two systems I am currently aware of that should work is from Batrium and Orion but are frequently cited as being too expensive. When we start getting into these larger systems the BMS becomes a smaller % of overall cost though. Would also like it if Will could do a review on larger systems.

I’m also wanting to find a BMS to run a larger system. So I’m super interested in the responses you get here.
I live off grid on a 48v lead acid. It’s time for a change to LIFEPO. So I was looking at 500ah lifepo cells. Thinking I could do two banks and get 1000ah. But the whole BMS thing is really putting a dent in my plans. With flooded lead acid you can go big on the AH fairly easily.
Are you using any other batteries currently? Or is this a completely new system

Robbo
Skyjacking the thread but pray tell the tale of where one finds such 360AH batteries?
Shawn
Can you also pray the tale of the 500AH batteries?
NO....we are not flying to Cuba..........Back to normal flight route....exception for the share....
THANKS

Robbo
Skyjacking the thread but pray tell the tale of where one finds such 360AH batteries?
Shawn
Can you also pray the tale of the 500AH batteries?
NO....we are not flying to Cuba..........Back to normal flight route....exception for the share....
THANKS
I found 500ah on alibaba. Figured I would give it a try. But I may need to go to 400ah based on BMS info I’m getting.

hi Robin,
your LiFePO4 battery is 48V 375Ah, The maximal discharge current is 1C 375A, so the BMS16T-600 is suggested,
Please check the attached manual for more details. on page 19 and 21, you can find the cell and relay connection.
any questions please let me know.
thanks

so it can be used with a bigger relay thing that can be selected when buying is my understanding

I have always used a BMS with a separate shunt and contactor so there is no Amperage limit for me. Some of the inexpensive BMSs can used an external contactor but I don't know how they can count coulombs. Perhaps they have provisions for external shunt inputs.

I have always used a BMS with a separate shunt and contactor so there is no Amperage limit for me. Some of the inexpensive BMSs can used an external contactor but I don't know how they can count coulombs. Perhaps they have provisions for external shunt inputs.
Looks like I need to lean into this research this week. Shunts and contactors are not in my current knowledge base. I built my whole system and my home as well. But lifepo is new to me as well as the technical jargon surrounding them.

Back