diy solar

diy solar

4G LTE Routers with High Gain Antennas

Tony_

On page 81 of Mobile solar power made easy Prowse writes about 4G LTE Routers with High Gain Antennas and directs readers like me here:

"If you want to see what router I am currently using or my SIM card service, check out my website: http://www.mobile-solarpower.com"

But I can't find anything like this. Can somebody help me?

I'm living in France using Orange as my service provider, and my goal is to get the best cell reception possible as I travel throughout Europe in my camper van. I am already quite pleased with the performance that my iPhone XR provides as a hotspot, but I want a second way to connect for a number of reasons, and, of course, better reception for those times when I'm in more remote locations.

I'd also be interested in what's best to direct these antennas while inside of a van? Near the windshield? Near the roof? Near the roof fans? Mount the antenna outside of the van? Actual experience would be the most helpful.

Last edited:
Hi. Best place for directional antenna is outside. You might want to have an app like Network Cell Info to get the direction of the closest tower from your provider.
Also for best results a clear line of sight to the tower is required.
Hope it helps..

In my caravan (before it moved into the shed permanently lol) I used a 'bullbar mount' 6Db gain antenna (used here in Australia for 4wds and other cars in rural areas where long distances between cell towers is the norm)
1708382113956.png
(you can see it up the top near the front up against the clouds)

Similar to this (but bloody hell, I only paid $80 for mine!!!)
GME 4G bullbar mount antenna

Now I just use a magnet base one on the shed roof...- doesn't work as well as the old 6Db one, but then I don't need it and I don't want to drill holes in the sheds roof (thats it on the right)
1708382514047.png
Feeds my Netgear 4GX nicely (lol- need to clean it- bloody spiders)
1708382596883.png
Despite living in the middle of this (its 15km to the nearest tower, then 80km to the one after that)
1708382795309.png
In my experience, running them inside a metal box (even near a window) really doesn't work that well...

Use a modern router (with modern LTE CAT, so it can benefit from carrier aggregation which does make a lot of sense in more rural areas).

Also, use a good external antenna. For a mobile setup a omni, eg a Poynting Mimo.

For a stationary setup a directional antenna is even better, that allows you to point at the tower.

If budget is not the major concern, I would opt for the Teltonika RUT50X with a Teltonika PR1KC640 or Poynting Mimo-3-14 antenna

Last edited:
Look into MikroTik products. Closest cell tower for me is 21 miles away. Using two Mikrotiks LTE LHGs I’m getting well over 150mb down and 60mb up this weekend. It’s a LTE modem, router and parabolic dish all in one with PoE.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpeg
    IMG_0411.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 13
Agree, Mikrotik LHG (Especially the LHG LTE18) is a beast (LTE CAT18) but it for a fixed install.

However if I understand the original poster, he wants to be remote, to get decent speed depending on the location. For a RV a bulky dish-like unit isn't the best option imho.

Reactions: Bop
but it for a fixed install.
All you have to do is keep it at an accessible height, you can then adjust with just a screw driver whilst also looking at the Mikrotik app on the phone to see the signal details. The lag between moving the antenna and the app reporting the new strength makes it a longer process than it could be but not that difficult. Being directional you get a better signal if you have line of site to the mast.

Reactions: Bop
Use a modern router (with modern LTE CAT, so it can benefit from carrier aggregation which does make a lot of sense in more rural areas).

Also, use a good external antenna. For a mobile setup a omni, eg a Poynting Mimo.

For a stationary setup a directional antenna is even better, that allows you to point at the tower.

If budget is not the major concern, I would opt for the Teltonika RUT50X with a Teltonika PR1KC640 or Poynting Mimo-3-14 antenna
Great specifics in this response. Thanks

Perhaps I was hoping too much, but I really wanted to hear from someone with actual experience doing van life within Europe, better yet using the same carrier I am (Orange).

I really appreciate all of the replies, and I will look into all of these suggestions.

@DJSmiley I did some research and like your suggestion about a Teltonika RUT50X -- there's a lot to like about this solution, except the price tag (490 euros here). I've decided to get it but wait on the Antenna until I save a little. I want the best and future-proofing with tech like his is good, but with only so much money, need to be patient at times. (Edit: I had trouble purchasing the RUT50X, and as a result ended up getting a GL X3000, which has a lot of the same features)

Last edited:
I use a Wilson amplifier and a Yagi 14dbi way up high. Its a PITA to find a tower sometimes while overlanding. I have a lot of experience finding signal and SpaceX Starlink changed everything.

Back