diy solar

diy solar

5-8,000 Window a/c that doesn't have a huge in-rush of amps?

OffGridIdaho

Hobby Farm in N Idaho
I see a midea 8k DC inverter U-shaped (people are complaining about mold on the inside U.
I also see a LG dual inverter 5k btu.

They dont list the in-rush amps. I cannot afford a mini-split as we just upgraded the whole system.

I could only afford the Multiplus II 48v-3,000. The red light flashes for a second or two when the compressor cycles eon my current 5k btu window ac.
I logged the in-rush amps at about 20-21 amps AC 120v.

the LG 6,000 btu window AC 115 volt spec sheet attached. 510 watts cooling. very little inrush current. I have been reccomending these with the Radian 4K inverters I was installing. Haven't heard of any problems with them.

Attachments

• LW6023IVSM_spec_sheet.pdf
    352.5 KB · Views: 4
I have the Midea U shape. Have experienced less mold than other conventional window AC. I was hesitant to drill a drain hole in the Midea due to it's extra cost. Second season, no hesitation I drilled the hold. Seems to run the same or better.

I would guess the people experiencing mold have the unit level. It needs to slant, lean, or other word to the outside to drain properly.

All newer window AC experience more dirt, mold, condensation and attract insects due to the lack of drain holes. They did this to increase efficiency rating. It works like EGR on cars. Meets standards, but lots of headaches included... Anything under 200 and I drill a drain hole, warranty voided or not... It was a humid day and the unit could not evaporate the water fast enough and it backed up into the house. Wake up to water splashing on your hard wood floors. Never again....

The Midea with inverter and DC motors changes speeds and seems to have low inrush current. I would definitely recommend it. It is not silent but definitely quieter than most.

I have the Midea U shape. Have experienced less mold than other conventional window AC. I was hesitant to drill a drain hole in the Midea due to it's extra cost. Second season, no hesitation I drilled the hold. Seems to run the same or better.

I would guess the people experiencing mold have the unit level. It needs to slant, lean, or other word to the outside to drain properly.

All newer window AC experience more dirt, mold, condensation and attract insects due to the lack of drain holes. They did this to increase efficiency rating. It works like EGR on cars. Meets standards, but lots of headaches included... Anything under 200 and I drill a drain hole, warranty voided or not... It was a humid day and the unit could not evaporate the water fast enough and it backed up into the house. Wake up to water splashing on your hard wood floors. Never again....

The Midea with inverter and DC motors changes speeds and seems to have low inrush current. I would definitely recommend it. It is not silent but definitely quieter than most.
Can you put a meter on it and record max in-rush? I saw my 5k pull 56 amps dc at 48v, holy cow!

the LG 6,000 btu window AC 115 volt spec sheet attached. 510 watts cooling. very little inrush current. I have been reccomending these with the Radian 4K inverters I was installing. Haven't heard of any problems with them.
Do you know the in-rush amps?

Where can I get one in N Idaho? Amazon takes 3 weeks, summer will be over, plus I know it will get damaged.

Can you put a meter on it and record max in-rush? I saw my 5k pull 56 amps dc at 48v, holy cow!
I will go look. I have not watched it much this year. I have a Kill-a-watt variant on it. It starts slow ramping up and down as the conditions or settings demand. It currently draws 500w on high, but start around 200w and builds up. Cool here tonight.

BTW I am running it off a Victron Phoenix 48/1200.
I think you will find similar results with any inverter AC.

I got mine last year Home depot Fathers Day sale. Free shipping. P.S. I am very happy with my Ridgid and the LSA....

Edit I think I have viewed 6-700 watt middle of the afternoon on a really hot humid day...

Where can I get one in N Idaho? Amazon takes 3 weeks, summer will be over, plus I know it will get damaged.
I bought my LG 8000btu from Amazon and it took less than a week (back in February) without paying for the fast shipping. It came to my remote place undamaged. They do pack it fairly good in the manufacturers box.

I bought my LG 8000btu from Amazon and it took less than a week (back in February) without paying for the fast shipping. It came to my remote place undamaged. They do pack it fairly good in the manufacturers box.
Yep, just clicked order and I have prime so it says july 10. I called 25 different places and no one has them anymore. They are out of lowes and home depot computer systems. You can order from lowes but it just gives a rough estimate and NO guarantee. None of the appliance stores have them not even best buy. So I ordered from Woke-Azon.

Wonder why the best AC unit made is not available anywhere or even carried by any big box store?

Basic 9K minisplits run about 600...
They are negligible startup amps, and fairly simple to install...
Ya need a vacuum pump, and nitrogen to do a proper install, but they arent too bad to diy.

diy solar

diy solar
Back