diy solar

diy solar

5th Wheel Solar Setup Advice

putarigonit

This is my second solar setup. My wife and I lived full time for 2 1/2 yrs in it a travel trailer and only boondocks twice. I initially had a simple 100w solar panel with charger controller and inverter with 1 deep cycle battery.

We have upgraded to a 5th wheel, want to boondock more but start simple with capability to upgrade without having to necessarily change everything. Current setup is 320 watt solar panel, 20 amp renology charge controller (found out they now have been putting 40 amp charge controller in these... brand new rig) and inverter prepped with 1x88ah deep cycle battery.

I want to upgrade to 2 SOK 206 ah batteries with heat control and bluetooth as on significant sale right now, upgrade or get rv manufacter to switch out 20 amp charge controller to 40, 2000 vs 3000 watt inverter. I want to eventually put 1-2 more panels on roof and potentially upgrade to 4 batteries. What would be the best setup to start. We are not rich so I want to be cost effective but not buy junk or get stuff I don't need. I'd love to be able to see in rig the % battery life and or bluetooth on phone.

Any thoughts? I know Victron is one of the best for rvers but wondering if Renology will do??

Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

Ryan

We full-time in our MotorHome and boondock as much as possible.

My system is all Victron (except the DIY Battery), I think it is worth the difference - especially if you need to rely on the system. One of the biggest benefits of Victron is the data sharing between the devices. The shunt (Smartshunt or BMV712) can send the voltage and current info (temp too if you add the option sensor) to the solar charge controller(SCC). The SCC then uses that data to adjust the voltage and current so the batteries end up charged correctly.

The inverter is where the largest cost difference is and the largest performance gap. Two features I used a LOT last month were the auto UPS and PowerShare.
We are in Baja and last month we were at an RV park (this has also happened in the US too), the power was NOT good. My Power WatchDog shut power off to my RV for both Low Voltage and High Voltage. The Multiplus inverter did not miss a beat. When it lost power we did not realize it if we missed hearing the “click” of the transfer switch. It didn’t matter if we were using the Microwave or a computer. Because the electric supply was a bit inadequate, I set the power input amps to 7.5 amps (of 120v) at that level anytime we used the microwave part of the watts came from the grid the rest from our battery. Then when done the inverter/charger would automatically recharge the battery. It worked seamlessly and no issues.

Also, is your RV a 30a or 50a electric input? If it is 50a look at the Multiplus II 12/3000 2x120v. This Multiplus will run and automatically handle the difference between having the 120v in different phases (on 50a) and same phase (on 30a, 20a, or generator).

To circle back to your original question “I know Victron is one of the best for rvers but wondering if Renology will do??” If you do go with Renogy, it will work, you will get used to how it works and its limitations. Although I have met several RVers that had a system with cheaper components and later upgraded to Victron- the buy once - cry once.

Good Luck in your decisions.

Back