diy solar

diy solar

6500EX real world battery to inverter efficiency

nagz

I am trying to find any kind of figures or testing for actual battery to inverter power.

I've seen the manual states 90% peak efficiency, meaning it could be worse, and I've seen the 'idle consumption' is 70w, but also that people have reported higher.

Can anyone share real world tests (or link to ones already done) for battery consumption at various load levels?

ie, at 200w or 2000w of load, there was N watts measured from the battery? (and possibly at X temperature...)

I've searched '6500ex battery to inverter efficiency' and plenty of variations but haven't been able to find any such test.

Thanks!

I doubt you'll find anything with empirical let alone meaningful numbers.

Almost all inverters have peak efficiency around 30% of rated, so your inverter will be 90% efficient at 1950W. From there to peak output it slowly decreases. Would expect peak to be around 80%.

Lower power can be even worse. Very low power output around 100W is likely to be 60-70% efficient.

This typically doesn't account for idle draw. It's best to threat that as a load on top of everything else.

You could conduct your own testing that includes idle draw by simply using a DC clamp ammeter on the battery cables and use the AC power output value.

(DC amps * battery volts) / AC output power = net efficiency including idle draw.

It just seems crazy to me that people haven't posted these kinds of results!

Good to know about peak efficiency being around 30% of rated as I would be typically running right about that rate when doing anything moderate (ie, using a toaster, or my induction top, ~1800w).

Would it be safe to assume then that at 200w AC load, i would be running around I would be drawing about 387w from the battery?
(ie 65% efficiency on 200w, plus 80w for idle consumption)

My expectation would be closer to 80% efficiency plus no-load losses; the low numbers are primarily a function of the no-load consumption.

I can't speak to efficiency as that doesn't matter to me. You either have enough panels/Batts or you don't. Pretty easy to figure out without bean counting.

My 6500s consume 85W each.

Back