diy solar

diy solar

8.5kW Transfer Switch with 9kW inverter - auto-cap at 8.5kW?

JamesTheCrow

Hi all!

Context
Currently, I'm hooking up my AIOs to my 8.5kW house transfer switch (GenerLink). This works just fine with the AIO's combined 7.2kW output.

I plan on replacing the current AIOs with 3x 3kW AIOs to dramatically bump up the max PV voltage (from 150VDC to 500VDC) to be able to get away with fewer strings (and save on PV cables).

Question
What would happen if the combined house loads would try to draw 9kW? To be more precise:

1) Would the 3 AIOs even try to supply 9kW?

2) Or would the transfer switch somehow cap everything to its max supported AC input of 8.5kW?

3) If not, would there be any damage or does a transfer switch have safety measures?

Additional Context
  1. Since my new solar panel arrays will be about 250 ft from my house (ca. ~ 4kW each), I figured it'd be cheaper to replace my current AIOs with AIOs that have a max PV voltage of 500VDC. That way, I'd pay about the same as I'd pay for buying PV wire for way more strings, only: I'd have fewer strings, need less PV wire as a result and could store my current AIOs as a fallback.
  2. I figured I'd just get 3x EG4 3kW AIOs.
  3. Now, in order for that to work, my 8.5kW transfer switch would have to be able to handle the 9000W supplied by the 3x AIOs stacked in parallel.
  4. The transfer switch is a GenerLink. This is a whole house transfer switch that sits between the utility meter and the service entrance. It's automatic in that it detects power supplied, whenceupon the magnetic switch engages and disconnects from the public grid to supply power to the house.

I appreciate your feedback on this, since I'm really stumped.

Thanks.

James

Hey, I know this is an older post but I was curious if you'd be willing to share which AIO you're using with your generlink? I just had one installed for free by my power provider and was looking into options other than using the gas/Propane generator I have. I'd rather run something relatively silent than a generator if I have the option. Thanks!

Hi all!

Context
Currently, I'm hooking up my AIOs to my 8.5kW house transfer switch (GenerLink). This works just fine with the AIO's combined 7.2kW output.

I plan on replacing the current AIOs with 3x 3kW AIOs to dramatically bump up the max PV voltage (from 150VDC to 500VDC) to be able to get away with fewer strings (and save on PV cables).

Question
What would happen if the combined house loads would try to draw 9kW? To be more precise:

1) Would the 3 AIOs even try to supply 9kW?

2) Or would the transfer switch somehow cap everything to its max supported AC input of 8.5kW?

3) If not, would there be any damage or does a transfer switch have safety measures?

Additional Context
  1. Since my new solar panel arrays will be about 250 ft from my house (ca. ~ 4kW each), I figured it'd be cheaper to replace my current AIOs with AIOs that have a max PV voltage of 500VDC. That way, I'd pay about the same as I'd pay for buying PV wire for way more strings, only: I'd have fewer strings, need less PV wire as a result and could store my current AIOs as a fallback.
  2. I figured I'd just get 3x EG4 3kW AIOs.
  3. Now, in order for that to work, my 8.5kW transfer switch would have to be able to handle the 9000W supplied by the 3x AIOs stacked in parallel.
  4. The transfer switch is a GenerLink. This is a whole house transfer switch that sits between the utility meter and the service entrance. It's automatic in that it detects power supplied, whenceupon the magnetic switch engages and disconnects from the public grid to supply power to the house.

I appreciate your feedback on this, since I'm really stumped.

Thanks.

James
Hey, I know this is an older post but I was curious if you'd be willing to share which AIO you're using with your generlink? I just had one installed for free by my power provider and was looking into options other than using the gas/Propane generator I have. I'd rather run something relatively silent than a generator if I have the option. Thanks!

Back