diy solar

diy solar

Smooth switch with inverter charger and automatic transfer switch

crashintoty

Since I have the parts laying around, I figured I'd go ahead and put together a battery backup system. I have a 3000W 12V DC to 120V AC inverter with built-in charger (Xantrex Prosine 3.0) and a automatic transfer switch with built-in 12 circuit essentials/emergency sub-panel (Generac). Is it as simple as connecting the AC input of the inverter charger to a circuit on the main distribution panel (for charging the batteries from utility/shore power) and then connecting the AC output of the inverter charger to the essentials/emergency sub-panel (to power essential circuits when utility/shore is out)?

Since both inverter and auto transfer switch make an instantaneous switch when utility power is lost, will one device get in the way of the other causing them to fail to switch power to the batteries? If so, how do I remedy?

You Don't want or need to put two transfer switches in series with each other. Just use the one that is built in to the inverter. Unless you want to use the external one to bypass the inverter, if it fails.

You Don't want or need to put two transfer switches in series with each other. Just use the one that is built in to the inverter. Unless you want to use the external one to bypass the inverter, if it fails.
I'm assuming that means I don't need the emergency panel at all. If I use just the inverter, wouldn't it cause some problem considering the it's AC input and AC output would be the connected to the same panel?

I'm assuming that means I don't need the emergency panel at all. If I use just the inverter, wouldn't it cause some problem considering the it's AC input and AC output would be the connected to the same panel?
You shouldn't be connecting input and output to the same panel.
AC output should go to the emergency loads panel.

Back