diy solar

diy solar

Adding Automatic Transfer Switch

millsrj

My boat has a 50a/240v service with both shore power and 9kw generator. As you can see in the diagram, there is a manual selector that prevents us from energizing the shore power and generator at the same time.
The panel is split into two halves, with one leg per half. I assume (and please correct me if I am wrong) that it is 120v and a max of 30a per side. I already have a 2000W inverter that I want to integrate into the panel to power the outlets and microwave (fridges are already ac/dc).
I planned (see red parts of the diagram), to do the following:
1. group the breakers I want on the inverter in the top left parts of the panel
2. cut the L1 busbar to separate the inverter loads from the non-inverter loads (in essence, making a new sub-panel)
3. connect L1 to the new lower busbar (non-inverter loads)
4. also connect L1 to the ACin on a new Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS)
5. connect inverter to Inverter IN on the ATS
6. connect the Inverter Loads busbar to AC_out on the ATS

Questions:
1. is my plan sound (I know a new inverter charger is the best idea, that's not happening)
2. I have a chance to get a GoPower TS-30 for a really good price. Even though the Shore and Genny service is 50a, would this 30a ATS work as diagramed?
3. All of the neutrals are running to a neutral busbar right now. Do I have to remove the neutrals for the inverter loads and make a new neutral busbar for them? If so, does that get connected to the ATS on the AC-out side?

thanks very much

1695662129769.png

Anybody ? I think I have found the answer to the 30a vs 50a question. Assuming I need to put a 50a ATS in there, do all the neutrals from the separated loads need to go to their own isolated neutral buss ? I will post a new diagram with the 50a ATS

OK, thanks. I actually ended up getting a 50a transfer switch. To verify, I would move the white-neutral wires of the inverter circuits to a new busbar, and then would I go from the ATS to the new neutral busbar as well? When on Shore/Generator power, I assume then that the ATS would jumper the neutral bars.

Back