diy solar

diy solar

Service entrance rated 200 amp automatic transfer switch

Off Gridin' It

I’m looking at a setup for my new house in which the meter feeds into a service entrance rated 200 amp automatic transfer switch designed for use with a generator but with solar on the other side rather than a generator. The ATS would sit between the mains inputs and the main panel so this is not a critical loads sub-panel it will feed the main panel.

I will put solar on the “utility’ side so it has priority and utility on the ”generator“ side where if the solar cuts out for any reason, it would switch to utility and then switch back to solar when that power feed comes back up.

I have seen the Generac ATS but not sure if it is proprietary and if it is proprietary it won’t work.

Is there a standalone ATS that will work for any brands for use with solar and utility that is service entrance rated for 200 amps on each input that is available?

The transfer switch itself has a fairly simple, generic logic sequence and will automatically switch over to the alternate power source, when present, if the voltage and frequency are in range. The proprietary aspect of an ATS would be more of an issue with regard to starting and stopping a different brand of generator that may have a different wiring configuration.

If you have a specific model numbers and a rough diagram we can answer the question in more detail.

“ solar cuts out” Are you talking about an inverter with batteries?

While there are standalone type ATS switches available, the ASCO SERIES 185 is one such example, but they may not be the best solution for the problem you are trying to solve. What is the use case for this ATS?

The solar inverter failing should be an rare enough case that an automatic transfer isn't warranted. A hybrid inverter with a 200amp pass thru capability, such as the sol-ark 15k or EG4 18kpv, may be a better fit for your needs.

Back