diy solar

diy solar

automatic transfer switch

Thank you. One thing the MOES does is once it switches to the grid, it only switches back to the battery once the battery has reached a set higher voltage. Example: If I set its lower and upper voltages to 12v and 14v, it will switch to the grid under 12v, then stay on to the grid until the battery reached 14v. Does this relay support that?

If the relay simply changes to the other source within a certain voltage range, In the case where my panels are producing less power than currently being consumed, if the battery voltage drops below 12v and switches to the grid, once the battery charges past 12v it would switch back and then drain again, rapidly switch between the grid and the battery, which I assume is not good for my system.

Though it looks like with this relay I can delay the switch up to about 15 minutes, which could ameliorate that a little bit.
On and off are separate setting parameters.

Here's a video of how it works.
Andy is using for a different purpose.
But the information is the same.

Progressive Dynamics PD52V 5200 Series Automatic Transfer Relay 240 VAC 50 A

There is a 120v 30amp version. They are used on RVs. The good thing about them is they have an interlock between them that prevents that both contactors can be activated at the same time.

Here's a video of how it works.
Andy is using for a different purpose.
But the information is the same.

I got the relay, and have successfully programmed and tested it with a power supply. I’ve never done any wiring with AC before so I want to make sure I’m thinking about this right:

I’ll be switching from the battery to the grid (AKA a wall outlet) once the battery voltage drops below the lower limit, and back to battery once the panels have charged it to the upper limit. I’ll have the grid on Normally Closed, since I want it to default to the grid in case anything happens with the inverter/battery power.

I’ll get two 120v extension cords and cut them in half, like Will does in his video demonstrating the MOES auto transfer switch. The male side of one cord will be plugged into a wall outlet (grid), the other male-side cord plugged into my inverter outlet. On the voltage controlled relay, the Hot/L1 wire of the grid cord will attach to normally closed, and the Hot wire from the inverter cord will go to normally open. The Hot of another chord with a female/outlet will attach to Common. I then wire the neutrals of all three of the cords together (as well as the grounds together separately). I plug loads into the Common, and the relay switches between which hot wire is used, grid or inverter, accordingly.

Did I get this right? And is this the ideal way?

Back