diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18KPV and Generac 18kw standby generator with 200A automatic transfer

Shaw1984

Hello all, I have a 200A service to my home we built about 3 years ago. My wife wanted a standby generator. We went with a Generac 18kw with 200A automatic transfer switch. Now that some of the new hybrid inverters are out I'm really interested in swapping out my system for a grid-tie solar solution. My thought is to get rid of the 200A automatic transfer switch all together and replace it with the EG4 18KPV which from what I understand has atleast a 90A generator input. The 18kpv could obviously do grid tie very well. It has a generator input as well. But could it function like the automatic transfer switch and kill the grid connection and the PV to run on genertor power alone until the grid came back?

This would also allow me to use the breaker for the generator to feed my house. My current panelboard is full and I really don't want to do a subpanel.

Eventualy, I want to have some batteries on the system. At which point, I would get rid of this huge 18kw Generac in favor of something smaller that would only power the base load of the house and charge batteries for when larger loads are needed.

If this were possible I think it would make a great how to video for people. I know a lot of people buy these huge Generac sysetms for backup and they just sit there. I hate looking at mine just doing nothing all the time. Waste of money.

Yes, it will do that check out manual you can program it to do what you want. The rated inverter output is 12KW if that isn't enough could run two of them.

Thank you K490! If I got to the scenario of battery and generator I'd probably have a smaller 5kw generator rather than the beast of a 18kw. I figure I can sell the transfer switch and generator and cover my EG4 18kpv for the most part.

Thank you K490! If I got to the scenario of battery and generator I'd probably have a smaller 5kw generator rather than the beast of a 18kw. I figure I can sell the transfer switch and generator and cover my EG4 18kpv for the most part.

I would do lot more research before you make any decisions. Never know when you need a generator how much can you really get for it on the used market most of the cost is having it installed. Grid tie system will require permitting and inspection lot of cost involved if you plan on using a solar contractor. If you plan on mounting panels on your roof need permitting it requires a rapid shut down lot involved. If you're on acreage could setup a ground mount system and off grid type setup. I have looked into this in the end I figured I really need to go the legal route and get it fully permitted and inspected reason being is dumping that kind of money into a system with 50-60 panels I want be able to sell the property not have the hassle of an unpermitted install.

Back