diy solar

diy solar

automatic transfer switch

MOES Dual Power Controller 50A 5500 Watt Automatic Transfer Switch for Off Grid Solar Wind System ATS DC 12V 24V 48V AC 110V 220V.​

been running for 4 years, no issues

MOES Dual Power Controller 50A 5500 Watt Automatic Transfer Switch for Off Grid Solar Wind System ATS DC 12V 24V 48V AC 110V 220V.​

been running for 4 years, no issues
We don't recommend those. Because they aren't a real transfer switch. They have damaged other members systems.

Hello. I need a small automatic transfer switch which is about 10 to 20 a for my small solar system. are there any?
At 10a or 20a ,you aren't dealing with motor startup loads. So a simple relay should do what you want.
I have been using these with great success.

TWTADE/JQX-62F-2Z Coil Voltage AC 220V 80A DPDT Electronmagnetic Relay,High Power Relay (AC 220V) https://a.co/d/8ctNwkq

thx for the infos
what's the damaged friend ?
been running 4 years with no issues
I thought it's good
thx
Those units have no mechanical or electrical interlocking. It's just two separate relays. If (when) one relay gets stuck, both sources will be connected together. It's just a matter of time until it fails.

But luckily (for the seller), it usually outlasts the warranty.

Those units have no mechanical or electrical interlocking. It's just two separate relays. If (when) one relay gets stuck, both sources will be connected together. It's just a matter of time until it fails.

But luckily (for the seller), it usually outlasts the warranty.
thanks a lot for this info
will closely keep that in mind, just in case
good day

At 10a or 20a ,you aren't dealing with motor startup loads. So a simple relay should do what you want.
I have been using these with great success.

TWTADE/JQX-62F-2Z Coil Voltage AC 220V 80A DPDT Electronmagnetic Relay,High Power Relay (AC 220V) https://a.co/d/8ctNwkq

Well… I bought a MOES a while ago, but sounds like it’s time to rethink that.

I have a small 12v solar/battery system, with a 1200 watt inverter and 110v grid power (I’m in the US). To replace the MOES, could I get the 110v version of this relay? And I plan to replace my Renogy 10/20a PWM charge controller with an mppt at some point. To control the relay, could I connect the old PWM controller to the battery and not the panels, and use the high/low voltage cutoffs to change the state of the relay?
(EDIT: I'd like it to switch to grid power until the battery reaches a set state of charge, not sure if it'd work with this actually)

Last edited:
Well… I bought a MOES a while ago, but sounds like it’s time to rethink that.

I have a small 12v solar/battery system, with a 1200 watt inverter and 110v grid power (I’m in the US). To replace the MOES, could I get the 110v version of this relay? And I plan to replace my Renogy 10/20a PWM charge controller with an mppt at some point. To control the relay, could I connect the old PWM controller to the battery and not the panels, and use the high/low voltage cutoffs to change the state of the relay?
(EDIT: I'd like it to switch to grid power until the battery reaches a set state of charge, not sure if it'd work with this actually)
There are many ways to accomplish your goal.
I'm not familiar with what you are describing. But if you can make it work, why not.

These are great for a battery voltage monitoring relay.

Thank you. One thing the MOES does is once it switches to the grid, it only switches back to the battery once the battery has reached a set higher voltage. Example: If I set its lower and upper voltages to 12v and 14v, it will switch to the grid under 12v, then stay on to the grid until the battery reached 14v. Does this relay support that?

If the relay simply changes to the other source within a certain voltage range, In the case where my panels are producing less power than currently being consumed, if the battery voltage drops below 12v and switches to the grid, once the battery charges past 12v it would switch back and then drain again, rapidly switch between the grid and the battery, which I assume is not good for my system.

Though it looks like with this relay I can delay the switch up to about 15 minutes, which could ameliorate that a little bit.

Back