diy solar

diy solar

Adding inverter w/o transfer switch

h55555z

It seems like this is possible if you don't want to wire the inverter into the distribution panel. Most people get an inverter/charger with a transfer switch (or inverter + transfer switch +existing converter) because they connect to the panel, but if I run the inverter as a separate circuit, do I still need a transfer switch?
I'm planning on unplugging the converter for the time being... And I guess if I need to use shore I turn off the inverter before I plug the converter back in? (Is it as simple as that?)

I would love to find a diagram to showing an inverter that isn't wired into a distribution panel, but everything I see either has that and/or an inverter/charger/switch combo. Before everyone tells me to do either of these, my camper has no room to physically accommodate something like the Multiplus or even a transfer switch. I can't imagine trying to dismantle what exists already and trying to rewire with little access. Also, my battery and solar is on the other side of camper from the converter and distribution panel, so I'm lucky I have a little bit of room to install the inverter there and not something bigger.

Advice? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to approach this given some restrictions I have on layout, access, etc. I do not mind being unable to plug things into the outlets which are connected to the AC panel and shore power. I'm not going to tear everything out and reconfigure. I would still love trying to find a diagram that shows how to properly wire up the inverter as a separate circuit so I'm not missing anything.

What inverter are you using/planning to use?

I have a GW 3Kw AIO and it has a built in transfer switch. When I plug into shore power, it will draw off shore power automatically if set to do so.

From the inverter to the main breaker panel is just like when the cord ran directly to the breaker panel. I didn't have to change anything in the breaker panel, it was as it came. Power comes from the AIO always, it just depends on whether it is plugged into shore power or if the inverter is supplying power.

This guy has a Victron setup for a critical loads panel. But I think he has a transfer switch ONLY so he could have a generator as well. At least I think so...

1708142861801.png
This is what I did. Hardwire 8/3 SOOW cable to the shore in power and shut the converter breaker off. Any outlet works up to 3 kWh total.

What inverter are you using/planning to use?

I have a GW 3Kw AIO and it has a built in transfer switch. When I plug into shore power, it will draw off shore power automatically if set to do so.

From the inverter to the main breaker panel is just like when the cord ran directly to the breaker panel. I didn't have to change anything in the breaker panel, it was as it came. Power comes from the AIO always, it just depends on whether it is plugged into shore power or if the inverter is supplying power.
Is this what you have? https://shopsolarkits.com/products/growatt-solar-inverter-spf-3000tl-lvm-48p
Does it have a transfer switch built in?
I was going to use a Giandel 2200, which doesn't have a transfer switch. https://www.giandel.com/collections/pure-sine-wave-inverter/products/ps-2200kar

My biggest issue is access, followed by space, and comfort level with the electrical. While I could pull out the existing converter and maybe squeeze in a larger inverter/charger, there is sooo little room to mount it and very hard to re-wire things without removing cabinetry, a sink, etc. Basically one side of my camper has the distribution panel, shore power & converter, and the other side has the battery & solar access and just enough room for an inverter. Hence I was thinking I could get away with not connecting to the existing AC distribution panel.

View attachment 196119
This is what I did. Hardwire 8/3 SOOW cable to the shore in power and shut the converter breaker off. Any outlet works up to 3 kWh total.
Thanks, what inverter do you have? Will take a look at the videos above as well but this whole "hard wire to the inverter" i've heard before means you remove the converter (or shut off breaker) and you then shore feed directly into what exactly? For instance, I was thinking of this, https://www.giandel.com/collections/pure-sine-wave-inverter/products/ps-2200kar - you mean I connect to the terminal blocks?
Then I can only get power from the two outlets on the inverter? Sorry for the dum bquestion here, are you wired to the existing AC distribution panel or not?

Thanks, what inverter do you have?
This is my current 3000 watt Samlex 24 Volt inverter. I upgraded from a 2000 watt Samlex 12 volt Inverter,
Will take a look at the videos above as well but this whole "hard wire to the inverter" i've heard before means you remove the converter (or shut off breaker) and you then shore feed directly into what exactly? For instance, I was thinking of this, https://www.giandel.com/collections/pure-sine-wave-inverter/products/ps-2200kar - you mean I connect to the terminal blocks?
My browser gives me a warning when I click on that link.
Then I can only get power from the two outlets on the inverter? Sorry for the dum bquestion here, are you wired to the existing AC distribution panel or not?
I get all the outlets in the trailer when I do this plus the two on the inverter.

For hardwiring, there is a special connection on the inverter to go to a circuit breaker box as the AC in.
1708217940223.png

To get the power to the trailer, instead of putting the wires into shore power, I put a 50 amp plug at the of where I hardwired it, then plugged that into shorepower, and it goes to every outlet in the trailer.

1708218025418.png
This is really a manual transfer switch. I have not plugged in the trailer into the grid for many trips.

I have AIMs and SGP 12,000w (dumb, non-ATS) inverters that I feed to ATS(s). I use several Progressive 240v/120v @ 50a ATSs - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAWNVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title - with grid AC on one input and inverter AC on the other input. When the inverters are on - the ATSs switch to allow the Inverter power to energize circuits but when the battery runs down / inverters go off, the ATSs auto-switch back to grid to energize the circuits.

Because these mechanical ATS switch-overs are not quite fast enough for sensitive circuits I use APC UPSs for things like the computers.

Not sure this is what you're thinking - but it works for me to do my own ATS'ing and UPS'ing as external components to the Inverters :)

Last edited:

Yes. Mine is 24V not 48V.
Does it have a transfer switch built in?

Yes, just about every AIO has a built in transfer switch.
I was going to use a Giandel 2200, which doesn't have a transfer switch. https://www.giandel.com/collections/pure-sine-wave-inverter/products/ps-2200kar
I would not rely on a Giandel as my only inverter. I own a 2600W version as backup, it is mounted in the back seat of my pickup. It's main use is for charging my battery bank in the truck camper. I hardwired the truck with a 30A receptacle at the rear bumper. This gives me backup power and a way to charge 24V at high wattage from the truck 12V system. The AC charger in the Growatt can charge the battery this way.

My biggest issue is access, followed by space, and comfort level with the electrical. While I could pull out the existing converter and maybe squeeze in a larger inverter/charger, there is sooo little room to mount it and very hard to re-wire things without removing cabinetry, a sink, etc. Basically one side of my camper has the distribution panel, shore power & converter, and the other side has the battery & solar access and just enough room for an inverter. Hence I was thinking I could get away with not connecting to the existing AC distribution panel.
This is my truck camper build. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/heres-my-truck-camper-setup.29488/ I mounted the box on the back to house the AIO inverter. I'm glad I did it this way, it keep the heat and noise outside the camper interior. To run the AC power in only required 10AWG from the inverter to the old breaker panel. The 30A cord attaches to the bottom of the box and the AIO transfer switch will switch over to shore power automatically if plugged in.

There wasn't any room inside to mount the Growatt but I did have enough room for the 24V battery and a 24V fuse panel. I did move the 12V circuits to a new fuse panel powered by a step down converter. The only purpose the old AC to DC converter does is provide power for the jacks when loading/unloading the camper. I don't have a 12V battery either, that freed up some space. The AC to DC converter has a switch to turn it off when not in use.

You didn't say what you have for a camper but if room is tight, I'd consider mounting a box with the inverter, charger and transfer switch or AIO in it. LFP batteries need to be kept above freezing for charging so that is why I prefer inside. Batteries can be outside, you just need a heating pad to keep the cells warm.

Back