diy solar

diy solar

95 percent done but desperate need of a some advise

dckaldwell12

I put a solar system on my schoolie and i feel like I'm just riiight there but I'm missing something. I was just hoping someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction. I have 8 195 watt max 18 v and 10.83 amps. 2 strings of 4 wired in series parallel connecting at a 4 string 4*10A combiner box. The single string goes to a 60A charge control, That is wired up to a 3500 watt 24 volt 50-60 Hz inverter. I am using 4 12v 100 AH lithium batteries wired in series parallel. The problems i see are is the voltage goes from 40 to 24 as soon as you put in in the combiner box. The charge controller doesn't let me go higher than 17 on the over discharge voltage or the over discharge return voltage setting. Ive done alot of residential electric so i thought this would be easy but im way over my head so any ideas. Even if its just rewiring them in series or parallel instead of series-parallel. Id just bite the bullet and buy some more wire and try it but the solar thing as ended up costing alot more than i thought so im trying to to over buy if i don't have to. Thanks everyone and like i said any advice is very appreciated.

I put a solar system on my schoolie and i feel like I'm just riiight there but I'm missing something. I was just hoping someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction. I have 8 195 watt max 18 v and 10.83 amps. 2 strings of 4 wired in series parallel connecting at a 4 string 4*10A combiner box. The single string goes to a 60A charge control, That is wired up to a 3500 watt 24 volt 50-60 Hz inverter. I am using 4 12v 100 AH lithium batteries wired in series parallel. The problems i see are is the voltage goes from 40 to 24 as soon as you put in in the combiner box. The charge controller doesn't let me go higher than 17 on the over discharge voltage or the over discharge return voltage setting. Ive done alot of residential electric so i thought this would be easy but im way over my head so any ideas. Even if its just rewiring them in series or parallel instead of series-parallel. Id just bite the bullet and buy some more wire and try it but the solar thing as ended up costing alot more than i thought so im trying to to over buy if i don't have to. Thanks everyone and like i said any advice is very appreciated.
What charger are you using ?
Sounds like it may be stuck in 12v mode ?

2 strings of 4 wired in series parallel connecting at a 4 string 4*10A combiner box.
I am using 4 12v 100 AH lithium batteries wired in series parallel.
How are the panels exactly wired? 2S4P? Or 4S2P?

And Battery? 2S2P?
The single string goes to a 60A charge control, That is wired up to a 3500 watt 24 volt 50-60 Hz inverter..
Normally you hook up the Charger to battery first, it should auto sense the V. You then hook up the Panels to the charger.

The inverter hooks directly to battery terminal. A picture would really help us help you.

you too outboard i actuly have another charger controler. If thats it ill be pumped. 8 guage wire
8awg is fine for PV but battery should be 2awg . that inverter can pull 150A continuous plus surge load . fuses and disconnect should be used as well . but should be ok to test the system .

The panel wire in yellow shows it is not connecting to the neg side. Perhaps just a slip on the drawing or is this reality?

And the end connections into the charger, is is it series or parrallel? Can't tell since there is only 1 set of wires into charger. Battery is wired correctly,

Do you have voltmeter to measure the panel wires going into charger beforw hooking it up?

Attachments

• solar array.JPG
    solar array.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 1

diy solar

diy solar
Back