diy solar

diy solar

A low-voltage disconnect device that has a user-defined low-voltage threshold?

Ample

Is there an LVD device that will allow me to choose the low voltage threshold?

What'd I'd like to do is to cut power to a "low-importance" 12V circuit when the battery bank gets down to a certain voltage, ensuring the there'll always be enough power to run the main circuit for a good amount of time.

E.g. I'm blasting away with a killer 12V sound system. I may not realize that it's drawn down my battery bank such that it won't power the important stuff (fridge) the rest of the night before the solar comes alive again. Since my stereo isn't important, a custom LVD will unceremoniously cut power to it when my LiFePO4 bank gets to say 30%, leaving enough power for the rest of the night for other things.

There are lots of LVD devices out there but they seem to be for protecting lead-acid batteries. Those LVDs kicks in at 12.2V, or worse, much lower, which is dangerously low for LFP, according to the often-quoted Battleborn chart.

Battleborn SOC vs voltage chart.jpg

Chart, larger:

Battleborn SOC vs voltage chart Larger.jpg

Looking at the chart, I'd like the LVD to kick in at 13.0V.

Is there a commercial device like that?

I supposed I can hack up some variation on this:
where I'd not just sound a buzzer but instead, engage a relay that cuts power.

But I'm not an electronics engineer and I could get it wrong and so I'm looking for a professionally designed device.

Is there an LVD device that will allow me to choose the low voltage threshold?

What'd I'd like to do is to cut power to a "low-importance" 12V circuit when the battery bank gets down to a certain voltage, ensuring the there'll always be enough power to run the main circuit for a good amount of time.

E.g. I'm blasting away with a killer 12V sound system. I may not realize that it's drawn down my battery bank such that it won't power the important stuff (fridge) the rest of the night before the solar comes alive again. Since my stereo isn't important, a custom LVD will unceremoniously cut power to it when my LiFePO4 bank gets to say 30%, leaving enough power for the rest of the night for other things.

There are lots of LVD devices out there but they seem to be for protecting lead-acid batteries. Those LVDs kicks in at 12.2V, or worse, much lower, which is dangerously low for LFP, according to the often-quoted Battleborn chart.

View attachment 16761

Chart, larger:

View attachment 16763

Looking at the chart, I'd like the LVD to kick in at 13.0V.

Is there a commercial device like that?

I supposed I can hack up some variation on this:
where I'd not just sound a buzzer but instead, engage a relay that cuts power.

But I'm not an electronics engineer and I could get it wrong and so I'm looking for a professionally designed device.
Some of the very cheap solar charge controllers have this function.

Sterling Pro Latch R. Programming is a bit rough though. The user manual is at the bottom of the page. They make several different amp ratings for the device; up to 240 amps.

I have this one. Cheap, but has worked fine for several months. You set a cut-in and a cut-out voltage, and you can also set time delays for the triggers (I think - I don't use that feature so not sure). I wouldn't count on it to protect a battery bank without some redundancy, but your backup could be your bms I suppose.
Notes:
- This turns an internal relay on and off, but when on, the relay passes the input voltage through to the output. You can't supply a separate external source for the relay contacts.
- It is rated at 10a, but I'd never put that much through it. You probably only would want to use it to drive another relay.

If you need a lot of current, one of these would work.

Back