diy solar

diy solar

Victron 75/15 mppt as 24v to 12v converter

joshjhayes

Maybe I'm overthinking this. I have my travel trailer setup with a 24v lifepo4 battery bank connected to solar and inverter. I use a victron 75/15 as a dc dc converter to charge my single 12v SLA that runs the 12v system. My question is in an effort to maximize solar efficiency and limit the draw on the 24v system (at night), is there a way to setup the 75/15 so that it only begins charging when the 12v battery dips below, say, 12.5 volts? Would setting a very low float voltage accomplish this? I suppose I can limit the charging amps but that could allow the 12v battery voltage to dip too low causing damage if I'm running the RV furnace overnight.

Basically, I can envision a situation with my current settings where I wake up in the morning after a cold night (12v furnace drawing power) and my 12v battery is full but my 24v bank is empty and I can't make coffee. I'd rather have it setup somehow where the 12v battery is allowed to drain to ~75% 🤷🏼‍♂️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240301-172133.png
    Screenshot_20240301-172133.png
    101 KB · Views: 1
You want a real DC DC converter. Pretty sure it specifically says you can't use a mppt as a DC converter.

The smart has voltage cut on/off

Wouldn't you want it to charge the 12v only when the 48v is at x percent?

You want a real DC DC converter. Pretty sure it specifically says you can't use a mppt as a DC converter.

The smart has voltage cut on/off

Wouldn't you want it to charge the 12v only when the 48v is at x percent?
I'm trying to protect the 12v battery by not allowing it to drain too low, but by allowing it to drain somewhat I can utilize 24v for other things. Does the Orion have that functionality?

I'm trying to protect the 12v battery by not allowing it to drain too low, but by allowing it to drain somewhat I can utilize 24v for other things. Does the Orion have that functionality?
The smart one has a bunch of options based on voltage. Not certain if it'll do exactly what you want.

Back