diy solar

diy solar

AC coupling EG4 18k to Solark 15k

betojf

I am encountering an issue with a "Bus Voltage High" error on the 18k (offgrid) when I attempt to supply electricity to my Sol-Ark 15K (grid-tied) through my small breaker panel. The connection is being made to the Gen port on the 15K. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as Signature Solar Tech has informed me that they do not have procedures for AC coupling export. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

I watched this video for the solark

Last edited:
I am encountering an issue with a "Bus Voltage High" error on the 18k (offgrid) when I attempt to supply electricity to my Sol-Ark 15K (grid-tied) through my small breaker panel. The connection is being made to the Gen port on the 15K. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as Signature Solar Tech has informed me that they do not have procedures for AC coupling export. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

I watched this video for the solark

I'm very confused about that you described. Can you clarify?

18kpv is completely off grid. Solark is grid tied. What's the small breaker panel connected to .what connection is being made on gen port of 15k. What are you trying to do?

Last edited:
EG4 Grid > Sol-Ark Gen Input?
15k, "Batt Setup", "Smart Load" is the "AC Coupled Input to Gen" checked? All other boxes on that screen unchecked?
15, "Grid Param", "Limiter", "Grid Sell" box checked?

I am basically trying to use the 18k as a generator to the Solark.

The breaker panel is going from the 18k to my loads. One of my loads from my 18k via a 40 amp breaker is going to the Solark.

I turn off all other loads when I push out electricity just to be safe.

Last edited:
Battery on the EG4? It may not like producing with no where for the power to go (via UL1941SA, SA tells EG4 not to send power).
Yes that’s a good question. I have 2 EG4LL 48V in series batteries on the 15k. I also have an EG4 48V outdoor wallmount battery on the 18k.

I discharged the batteries to 50% on the Solark thinking that could be it.

That’s is why I'm thinking the 18K is the culprit here.

I am basically trying to use the 18k as a generator to the Solark.

The breaker panel is going from the 18k to my loads. One of my loads from my 18k via a 40 amp breaker is going to the Solark.

I turn off all other loads when I push out electricity just to be safe.
Your solark is connected to the grid. So anything on the gen port must be able to synchronize to the grid.

The loads output frequency of an 18kpv (or any other inverter)is not able to synchronize to another signal so it's not going to work as long as the solark is grid tied.

The loads output frequency of an 18kpv (or any other inverter)is not able to synchronize to another signal so it's not going to work as long as the solark is grid tied.
18kpv is a grid tied inverter. It will synch to whatever is presented on the Grid Input, or create its own island.

If the SA is on the Grid Input, the 18kpv will synch to that.

18kpv is a grid tied inverter. It will synch to whatever is presented on the Grid Input, or create its own island.

If the SA is on the Grid Input, the 18kpv will synch to that.
Op said the 18kpv load output is going into gen input of grid tied solark

Yes that’s a good question. I have 2 EG4LL 48V in series batteries on the 15k. I also have an EG4 48V outdoor wallmount battery on the 18k.

I discharged the batteries to 50% on the Solark thinking that could be it.

That’s is why I'm thinking the 18K is the culprit here.
Yes, it is an 18kpv problem. I am trying to figure out what the SA is doing that triggers the 18kpv.

When the problem happens:
1) How many watts is being presented to the PV input?
2) SOC of battery on 18kpv
3) Max charge rate (from PV) setting on 18kpv.
4) SA on grid?

Regarding #4: If on-grid, then the problem is definitely the 18kpv since the SA is merely passing through the grid to the 18kpv. At that point, the 18kpv should be exporting all it can to the grid input.

Yes, it is an 18kpv problem. I am trying to figure out what the SA is doing that triggers the 18kpv.

When the problem happens:
1) How many watts is being presented to the PV input?
2) SOC of battery on 18kpv
3) Max charge rate (from PV) setting on 18kpv.
4) SA on grid?

Regarding #4: If on-grid, then the problem is definitely the 18kpv since the SA is merely passing through the grid to the 18kpv. At that point, the 18kpv should be exporting all it can to the grid input.

1) I've done this at night with same results, turned off the solar at the strings' disconnect. So 0 - 11.5k
2) Anywhere from 30% to 100%
3)250AMP
4) SA Solark? it is grid tied. Sorry not sure what this means.

Very thankful for your help

Your solark is connected to the grid. So anything on the gen port must be able to synchronize to the grid.

Interesting, how do generators work if they are connected to any inverter then? Genuinely curious.

Interesting, how do generators work if they are connected to any inverter then? Genuinely curious.
I'm not aware of a situation where a generator and the grid can be connected to the same inverter at the same time.

Usually when a generator is connected the inverter either passes the power right through or syncs to the generator.

If you connect the 18kpv to your subpanel via the grid input then it should sync to the solark

If connected to grid input, then via transfer switch.
If connected via gen port, then grid input is turned off, inverter syncs to gen port by slowly modulation its wave form, then inverter enables gen port to send power.

1) I've done this at night with same results, turned off the solar at the strings' disconnect. So 0 - 11.5k
2) Anywhere from 30% to 100%
3)250AMP
4) SA Solark? it is grid tied. Sorry not sure what this means.

Very thankful for your help
Yes, SA is solark. If grid connected, that substantially reduces the chance it is a SA compatibility issue. It is an eg4 -grid issue.

Grid is going to eg4 via the sol-ark. If SA is connected to grid, then AC PV via smartload port is passthrough grid. Thus the eg4 is connected to grid.
Nope. not possible. load output is not capable of syncing to an external frequency. thats why op is getting the eroor

Took the multimeter and the GEN on the Solark was outputting 240v on it even though I had checked AC coupled input to Gen. Waiting to hear back from them

diy solar

diy solar
Back