diy solar

diy solar

AC coupling old radian

solarkarl

Hey all,
I inherited an old outback Radian system, and am going to use it for my backup power, adding server rack batteries. the radian isn't the A version that supports AC coupling and frequency shift. I have 8.4 KW grid tied, on the roof of the building where the battery system will go, and plan on DC coupling that to the system, so no problem there. I have another 6.8 (13 years old, so more like 5.5) system ground mounted a long ways away, with a SB7000 tied into the main panel by the meter. I'm not sure if I can bring this in via AC coupling, or maybe I just have to either abandon it during a long outage, if there is a way to manually bring it online during long cloudy winter weather periods or if charging the car when no grid that would be slick.

I'd be willing to put a DC diversion load in place to pull excess power off the DC buss if the voltage rises too much, or even an ac diversion load, like a space heater.
I haven't found a clear wiring diagram on where it will accept AC inputs, as the outback AC coupling info sheets are pretty uninformative. it looks like the GT inverter AC coupling would have to be on the critical loads panel (which would be the entire farm when the power is out, with a couple interlocked breakers and the big disconnect on the pole locked off, like it is now when powering with the generator.

thoughts? would a drawing be helpful?

last resort if needed would be to trench a new set of wires the several hundred feet from the ground array to the barn where I need the power if DC coupling, but then I need another 600v charge controller, a bunch of trenching where I would rather not, and a bunch more wire and conduit.

TIA, karl

aaaaaand it is an A version (the photo I took of the label didn't show the "A" and it looks like it'll support ac coupling as long as I can load the proper firmware and get the Mate 3s. jumped the gun.

Back