diy solar

diy solar

Add a remote on an inverter that does not have one

ramstein

Hello,
I have a 1000/2000W inverter that doesn't have a remote control (I didn't think of it when I bought it) and as it's located in an inaccessible place I'd like to add a remote-controlled switch to it, by placing it on one of the cables.
Do you know if this is possible, and what product I can use? Or if there's another solution other than a remote-controlled switch...
If not possible, maybe I can just add an extension cable to move the switch further away?
Thanks for your help.

Is it 12v? If so go to the auto parts store and get a start relay. That's my plan for a build I'm currently working on. Then you can run a 12v control wire wherever you want and just use an automotive rocker switch. The linked one is about $20 and rated for 300a.

2-ss4_top.jpg

Is it 12v? If so go to the auto parts store and get a start relay. That's my plan for a build I'm currently working on. Then you can run a 12v control wire wherever you want and just use an automotive rocker switch. The linked one is about $20 and rated for 300a.

2-ss4_top.jpg
hello thank you. Yes it's a 12v inverter sorry for not precising it in the post.
I don't understand the need for this part, because to replace the builtin switch by another one located farther you just need to solder longer wires in place of the builtin switch, no?
It would really help to know the model of your inverter.
It's a basic one, brand tataliken sold on ali. Basic but works very well.

Last edited:
The small posts go via thin wires to the small terminals, the large posts go between your battery and inverter terminals. Flip the switch and the contactor closes powering on the inverter. All the inverter remotes I've seen to date are a similar process in concept, they just use a phone cord as the connector wire to the switch and an internal relay on the board.

You can't really use the automotive relays like that for any duration. The duty cycle on them is WAY to short for any long term use. Well that and then there is the power consumption of the relay itself.

My electric mower actually uses one of those to engage the 48 volt battery bank when you turn the key on and when it failed I was eyeballing the cheap car version but it turns out the duty cycle isn't but 25% or less. You need a 100% rated one for any serious on time usage.

The simplest way is to just wire a switch in parallel with the existing on/off switch. No need for a huge contactor or whatever was suggested above. The existing on/off switch is low current, so pretty much any toggle switch will work. I've done this on pretty much every inverter I have that does not already have a remote.

Still told me nothing :(

The simplest way is to just wire a switch in parallel with the existing on/off switch. No need for a huge contactor or whatever was suggested above. The existing on/off switch is low current, so pretty much any toggle switch will work. I've done this on pretty much every inverter I have that does not already have a remote.
I thought of this too but was not sure is doable, thanks for confirming. I think I'll go with this.
I thought I'd remove the existing switch and replace it by 2 long wires connected to another switch farther away. But yes no need to remove the existing switch, just have to keep it on the off position, and when the other one will be turned on then the current will flow

Back